[RFC 0/4] Parse ACPI/PPTT for cache information

Jeremy Linton jeremy.linton at arm.com
Mon Aug 7 10:33:32 PDT 2017

Hi,

On 08/07/2017 05:20 AM, Hanjun Guo wrote:
> +Cc Xiongfeng (who is also working on the PPTT but focusing on
> CPU topology)
>
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> On 2017/8/5 8:11, Jeremy Linton wrote:
>> ACPI 6.2 adds the Processor Properties Topology Table (PPTT), which is
>> used to describe the processor and cache topologies. Ideally it is
>> used to extend/override information provided by the hardware, but
>> right now ARM64 is entirely dependent on firmware provided tables.
>>
>> This patch parses the table for the cache topology only. Its quite
>> trivial to add processor/cluster/???/socket level parsing as well,
>> but that information isn't as useful as the already provided NUMA
>> SRAT/SLIT information which provides relative distances. The one
>> useful thing, is the number of physical sockets but due to the
>> way arm64 considers "clusters" to be sockets, a larger discussion
>> is required here.
>
> I think we need the socket to represent the true topology of
> the SoC, which means that considering clusters to be sockets is
> wrong on ARM64 server platforms, a "socket" needs to be a memory
> controller attached I think.

If I understand correctly, your suggesting that the socket isn't really
the physical socket, but a grouping at the memory controller level?

My general take was that thread/core/socket is now insufficient as even
x86 designs now have more levels of hierarchy than that. Mapping those
layers, and the numa weighting into something meaningful for linux, well
that was more than I wanted to start with. Particularly since the PPTT
spec is silent about memory controller attachments at particular node
levels, as well as a few other possible short comings.

> Take D05 for example, there are two physical SoC sockets on
> the board but with two CPU DIE (with memory controller) on each
> physical socket, and 4 clusters on each CPU DIE.
>
> When considering clusters as sockets (that's the code for now),
> there are 16 "sockets" to represent to OS for schedule input,
> but only 4 NUMA nodes, which are confusing the scheduler a lot...
>
> Xiongfeng was working on the CPU topology based on PPTT, and the code
> is under internal review, if it's OK for you, we can send them out
> for review comments to see if we can join our effort together, or
> we can work on top of your patches, as you like :)
>

>> An example of lstopo with this patch:
>>
>> [root at mammon-juno-rh ~]# lstopo-no-graphics
>> Machine (8072MB)
>>    Package L#0 + L2 L#0 (1024KB)
>>      L1d L#0 (32KB) + L1i L#0 (32KB) + Core L#0 + PU L#0 (P#0)
>>      L1d L#1 (32KB) + L1i L#1 (32KB) + Core L#1 + PU L#1 (P#1)
>>      L1d L#2 (32KB) + L1i L#2 (32KB) + Core L#2 + PU L#2 (P#2)
>>      L1d L#3 (32KB) + L1i L#3 (32KB) + Core L#3 + PU L#3 (P#3)
>>    Package L#1 + L2 L#1 (2048KB)
>>      L1d L#4 (32KB) + L1i L#4 (48KB) + Core L#4 + PU L#4 (P#4)
>>      L1d L#5 (32KB) + L1i L#5 (48KB) + Core L#5 + PU L#5 (P#5)
>>    HostBridge L#0
>>      PCIBridge
>>        PCIBridge
>>          PCIBridge
>>            PCI 1095:3132
>>              Block(Disk) L#0 "sda"
>>          PCIBridge
>>            PCI 11ab:4380
>>              Net L#1 "enp8s0"
>>
>> Jeremy Linton (4):
>>    drivers: base: cacheinfo: Add support for ACPI based firmware tables
>>    arm64: cacheinfo: Add support for ACPI/PPTT generated topology
>>    ACPI/PPTT: Add Processor Properties Topology Table parsing
>>    ACPI: Enable PPTT support on ARM64
>>
>>   arch/arm64/kernel/cacheinfo.c |  23 ++-
>>   drivers/acpi/arm64/Kconfig    |   3 +
>>   drivers/acpi/arm64/Makefile   |   1 +
>>   drivers/acpi/arm64/pptt.c     | 389
>
> I think PPTT is not ARM64 only, can be used for x86 too,
> shall we locate them on drivers/acpi?

Sure.. But, I was using the assumption that the table would only really
be useful on arm64. On x86 the table is unnecessary and generally would
have to be dynamically generated by the firmware (as it should be on
arm) anyway. Put another way, does anyone want to use it on another
platform?