stable/linux-3.18.y build: 204 builds: 5 failed, 199 passed, 35 errors, 212 warnings (v3.18.49)

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Thu Apr 27 07:40:22 EDT 2017

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 12:33 PM, gregkh <gregkh at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 04:27:14PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 7:04 PM, kernelci.org bot <bot at kernelci.org> wrote:
>> > stable/linux-3.18.y build: 204 builds: 5 failed, 199 passed, 35 errors, 212 warnings (v3.18.49)
>>
>> I've gone through all these now and found a fix. In three cases, there is no
>> fix yet since the respective drivers got removed before the warning was
>> noticed. Do we have a policy for how to deal with those? Should I just
>> send patches to address the warnings for 3.18?
>
> I've wondered about this, and yeah, I would like to see the number drop
> to 0 if at all possible (the scsi driver will not change), so i'll be
> glad to take patches for the code that is no longer in upstream.

Ok, I'll have a go at this after the build report.

>> > drivers/scsi/advansys.c:71:2: warning: #warning this driver is still not
>> > properly converted to the DMA API [-Wcpp]
>>
>> The driver was properly converted in v4.2 and the warning removed, but the
>> conversion would be outside of stable-kernel-rules.
>
> Yeah, this one is going to have to stay as-is :(

How about just shutting up the #warning then, based on the argument that
the warning isn't helping anyone fix it, and all the other drivers that had not
been converted at the time don't come with a #warning?

>> > Section mismatches:
>> > WARNING: arch/x86/kernel/built-in.o(.text.unlikely+0x157f): Section mismatch
>> > in reference from the function cpumask_empty.constprop.3() to the variable
>> > .init.data:nmi_ipi_mask
>> > WARNING: arch/x86/built-in.o(.text.unlikely+0x189b): Section mismatch in
>> > reference from the function cpumask_empty.constprop.3() to the variable
>> > .init.data:nmi_ipi_mask
>> > WARNING: vmlinux.o(.text.unlikely+0x1962): Section mismatch in reference
>> > from the function cpumask_empty.constprop.3() to the variable
>> > .init.data:nmi_ipi_mask
>>
>> f0ba662a6e06f2 x86: Properly _init-annotate NMI selftest code
>
> That commit is from 3.4, so how can I add it to 3.18? :)

Very odd, my search was definitely going wrong there. The file that
we get the warning for was last changed in 3.6, so I accidentally looked
at ancient changes.

Upon a closer look it looks like the problem is the 'cpumask_empty()'
helper function getting uninlined with CONFIG_OPTIMIZE_INLINING,
but I cannot see why the warning is gone in later kernels. I'll probably
have to bisect it.

>> > allnoconfig (mips) — PASS, 0 errors, 1 warning, 0 section mismatches
>> >
>> > Warnings:
>> > mm/page_alloc.c:5346:34: warning: array subscript is below array bounds
>> > [-Warray-bounds]
>>
>> Also bisected this one now, this is also missing on 3.16:
>>
>> 90cae1fe1c35 ("mm/init: fix zone boundary creation")
>
> Now applied to 3.1_8_ :)

Ok. To clarify, I was taking note of the fact this 3.16 needs it since this
is the most frequent warning I still see on Ben's 3.16.y tree, and the
last time I went through the 3.16 build report, I did not succeed in finding
this (without bisecting).

>> > ath79_defconfig (mips) — PASS, 0 errors, 2 warnings, 0 section mismatches
>> >
>> > Warnings:
>> > arch/mips/kernel/entry.S:170: Warning: tried to set unrecognized symbol:
>> > MIPS_ISA_LEVEL_RAW
>>
>> aebac99384f7 ("MIPS: kernel: entry.S: Set correct ISA level for mips_ihb")
>
> That was in 3.18.14, what kernel are you looking at here???

For most of the changes, I tried looking at 'git log v3.18..stable/linux-4.4.y'
and immediately found the obvious fix. If that didn't help, I tried a few other
things, but I usually did not look in 3.18.y to see if it was already there
if I found something at first that looked obviously right.

This is another case where I confused the patch that introduced the
warning with the one that fixed it. This one requires a another patch that
got merged into 3.20:

be5136988e25 ("MIPS: asm: compiler: Add new macros to set ISA and arch
asm annotations")

>> > cerfcube_defconfig (arm) — PASS, 0 errors, 2 warnings, 0 section mismatches
>> >
>> > Warnings:
>> > fs/nfsd/nfs4state.c:3781:3: warning: 'old_deny_bmap' may be used
>> > uninitialized in this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
>>
>> 5368e1a6 ("nfsd: work around a gcc-5.1 warning")

It's a copy-paste mistake, missing the first digits of the commit ID,
I found the correct one now:

6ac75368e1a6 nfsd: work around a gcc-5.1 warning

> That commit id isn't in Linus's tree, where did you get it from?
>> > defconfig+CONFIG_LKDTM=y (mips) — PASS, 0 errors, 3 warnings, 0 section
>> > mismatches
>> >
>> > Warnings:
>> > include/asm-generic/div64.h:43:28: warning: comparison of distinct pointer
>> > types lacks a cast
>> > include/asm-generic/div64.h:43:28: warning: comparison of distinct pointer
>> > types lacks a cast
>>
>> 2ae83bf93882 ("[CIFS] Fix setting time before epoch (negative time values)")
>
> That was in 3.17, are you sure you are looking at 3.18 like the subject
> says???

Another similar mistake on my end, 2ae83bf93882 introduced the problem,
the fix we need was

97c7134ae22f ("Fix signed/unsigned pointer warning")

        Arnd