support autofocus / autogain in libv4l2

Pavel Machek pavel at ucw.cz
Tue Apr 25 04:20:41 EDT 2017

Hi!

> > > Please don't add a new application under lib/. It is fine if you want
> > > some testing application, if the ones there aren't enough, but please
> > > place it under contrib/test/.
> > >
> > > You should likely take a look at v4l2grab first, as it could have
> > > almost everything you would need.
> >
> > I really need some kind of video output. v4l2grab is not useful
> > there. v4l2gl might be, but I don't think I have enough dependencies.
>
> Well, you could use some app to show the snaps that v4l2grab takes.

That would be too slow :-(.

> Yeah, compiling v4l2gl on N9 can indeed be complex. I suspect that it
> shouldn't hard to compile xawtv there (probably disabling some optional
> features).

I do have mplayer working, but that one is not linked against libv4l2
:-(.

> > Umm, and it looks like libv4l can not automatically convert from
> > GRBG10.. and if it could, going through RGB24 would probably be too
> > slow on this device :-(.
>
> I suspect it shouldn't be hard to add support for GRBG10. It already
> supports 8 and 16 bits Bayer formats, at lib/libv4lconvert/bayer.c
> (to both RGB and YUV formats).

Is 16bit bayer a recent development? I can't see it in

commit 374806e868f5a7a48ecffde4c6a1abfcfa5ccd65
Author: Hans Verkuil <hans.verkuil at cisco.com>
Date:   Fri Apr 22 09:31:57 2016 +0200

> > Is there an example using autogain/autowhitebalance from
> > libv4lconvert?
>
> Well, if you plug a USB camera without those controls, it should
> automatically expose controls for it, as if the device had such
> controls.

And settings are persistent, so I can enable autogain, then lauch
something like xawtv, and it will automatically get autogain? Ok,
good.

Regards,
									Pavel