[RFC] minimum gcc version for kernel: raise to gcc-4.3 or 4.6?

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Mon Apr 24 14:16:19 EDT 2017

Hi Arnd,

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 7:29 PM, Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de> wrote:

>>> What I'm trying to find out first is whether "people regularly using 10+
>>> year old compilers for the latest kernels" is a strict subset of "people in
>>> Geert's household".
>>
>> Well I do not live with Geert TBH.
>
> Sorry about that, you had mentioned that you had used it recently, which should
> have weighed more than my own results.

If you prefer to consider everyone who's been sleeping in the same room
at one of the Oldenburg Linux meetings as part of my household, that's
fine for me ;-)

> So it still fails, but only because of one compiler error that I can avoid by
> disabling that driver, and you probably use a slightly patched compiler
> version that doesn't have this particular bug, or it was a regression between
> gcc-4.1.2 and 4.1.3.

Mine is also some patched version of 4.1.1, built from Ubuntu sources:

    gcc version 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.1-21)

These sources probably even contained the fixes to make gcc-4.1.1
usable on CELL.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds