LDM/STM alignment fixups on arm64

Srinivas Ramana sramana at codeaurora.org
Thu Apr 20 07:20:30 EDT 2017

On 04/19/2017 09:28 PM, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 06:20:10PM +0530, Srinivas Ramana wrote:

>>> Do you have an application that fails because of this?  Your email makes
>>> it sound very theoretical.
>>
>> I don't have any application with me right now. But i just tried passing an
>> intentional misaligned address in a test program. When i say intentional,
>> please note this code is buggy and should be fixed.
>>
>> So, my question is when arm has such fixups to handle such cases and do
>> gracefully, is there any reason why those fixups are not ported to arm64?
>
> As Russell said, until we find some application in the wild I wouldn't
> rush to provide such emulation. Such code is either broken or relying on
> undefined C behaviour so they should rather be fixed. As with the
> deprecated/obsolete ARMv7 instructions (SWP, CP15 barriers), we
> initially decided not to implement the emulation in the arm64 kernel,
> though we eventually accepted it. But in those cases the instructions
> were once real and used correctly. The unaligned LDM/STM or LDRD/STRD
> have never been supported by the ARM architecture. They were added to
> cope with some unaligned accesses in the Linux kernel network stack (in
> hindsight, they should have not been provided to user but maybe there
> were good reasons, I don't know the full history here).

Sure. Thanks. I think i got some context and guidance now.

>> Again, I do agree that apps has to fix these instances, but we do have
>> fixups in arch/arm.
>
> I also think the default on arch/arm should be SIGBUS for these
> instructions on ARMv7 but this was discussed before on the list.
>
>> I do see that the compiler can detect (if its not intentionally induced)
>> such cases and avoiding to generate LDM/STM and generates multiple LDR/STR.
>> So, I just want to know if it is safe to assume that the compiler would take
>> care of all such misaligned addresses passed to LDM/STM?
>
> The compiler won't detect if you break its alignment assumptions (i.e.
> in your example pointers to struct locat are 64-bit aligned as per the
> EABI/PCS). If you want the compiler to assume unaligned struct pointers,
> you'd have to mark the structure with the packed attribute (with the
> additional padding if necessary, not in your example though).

You are right. with __packed__ attribute compiler detects the
unalignment (added a char to the test structure in my program), I could
see that compiler generates multiple LDRs instead of LDM.

Thanks for the details.

Thanks,
-- Srinivas R

--
Qualcomm India Private Limited, on behalf of Qualcomm Innovation Center,
Inc.,