atmel-hlcdc-display-controller atmel-hlcdc-dc: No connectors reported connected with modes

Ross McCormack rebothenebo at outlook.com
Wed Apr 19 06:22:29 EDT 2017

I just tried to display the Linux Tux Logo at bootup of the SAM5D, but it won't show up. My display is 800x480, kernel version is 4.9.20. Appart from the display/drm stack the kernel works like a charm. I narrowed the problem down to this error:

atmel-hlcdc-display-controller atmel-hlcdc-dc: failed to create HLCDC outputs: -517
atmel-hlcdc-display-controller atmel-hlcdc-dc: failed to initialize mode setting
atmel-hlcdc-display-controller atmel-hlcdc-dc: No connectors reported connected with modes
[drm] Cannot find any crtc or sizes - going 1024x768
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48
atmel-hlcdc-display-controller atmel-hlcdc-dc: fb0:  frame buffer device

Now I tried video=Unknown-1:800x480-16 as suggested on [1] but it still shows the error.

What's the problem here? Is it a driver issue with the display?

[1] http://www.at91.com/linux4sam/bin/view/Linux4SAM/UsingAtmelDRMDriver