Regression in next with "mfd: twl6040: The chip does not support bulk access"

Peter Ujfalusi peter.ujfalusi at ti.com
Fri Sep 23 03:19:43 PDT 2016

On 09/23/16 10:20, Peter Ujfalusi wrote:
> On 09/22/16 21:07, Tony Lindgren wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Looks like commit 7a17e47f6403 ("mfd: twl6040: The chip does not
>> support bulk access") breaks at least omap4-duovero.
>
> That's odd. I see no such errors on omap4 PandaBoard-ES nor on omap5 uEVM.
> The IRQ status is one register so even in bulk access it is one read. So the
> use_single_rw should have no effect on the access.
>
> The only time when regmap would try to use bulk access to twl6040 is when we
> execute regcache_sync() on it after resuming the chip and this would fail at
> the first time when it tries to restore more than one consecutive registers.
>
> I just tested things on next-20160915 and I see no errors at all.

Retested on next-20160923 and I see no issue on Panda-ES or omap5-uevm.

My guess is that you receive an interrupt from twl6040 while the chip is
powered down, the regmap is set to cache only. But this has nothing to do with
the bulk or non bulk access... Looking at the commit logs and git blame I see
no recent change in the driver(s) for twl6040 which changed the way it loads
and/or powers up/down.

--
Péter