[GIT PULL] Greybus driver subsystem for 4.9-rc1

Bryan O'Donoghue pure.logic at nexus-software.ie
Thu Sep 15 02:35:33 PDT 2016

On Wed, 2016-09-14 at 20:29 +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 08:07:54PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 06:36:26PM +0100, Mark Rutland wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Greg,

> > > I'm extremely concerned that these patches have *never* seen
> > > upstream
> > > review, and this pull request gives no real opportunity for
> > > people to
> > > make a judgement regarding the code, as many relevant parties
> > > have not
> > > been Cc'd.
> > As I said, I will send a set of simple patches, I wanted to get
> > this out
> > as soon as possible and other things came up today.  Will do it in
> > the
> > morning, sorry.
> Here's the timesync code pulled out into a simple patch if you want
> see it.
>
> Bryan, any explanations you want to provide that would help in
> clarifying Mark's issues?

As Douglas Adams would say - "don't panic".

If you look at the final state the code ends up in - we're doing
get_cycles(); as opposed to reading an architectural timer directly.

u64 gb_timesync_platform_get_counter(void)
{
        return (u64)get_cycles();
}

You have the entire git history - from the early days where we were reading one of the unused ARMv8 timers the MSM8994 has to the later days where we just do get_cycles()...

At the time when we first started writing the code it wasn't 100% clear if get_cycles() would do, so it was safer to allocate an unused architectural timer and read it directly. Later on and with some experimentation it was possible to switch to get_cycles().

---
bod