irq_create_fwspec_mapping() in 4.8-rc2

Linus Walleij linus.walleij at linaro.org
Mon Sep 5 14:41:14 PDT 2016

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Marc Zyngier <marc.zyngier at arm.com> wrote:

> OK, I'll whip up a patch shortly. Should I also address the handful of
> other non-TYPE_NONE that we have in the tree:
>
>         drivers/gpio/gpio-sx150x.c
>         drivers/pinctrl/nomadik/pinctrl-nomadik.c
>         drivers/pinctrl/pinctrl-coh901.c
>         drivers/pinctrl/pinctrl-st.c
>
> But the bigger question is whether or not there is any value in the
> pinctrl driver providing a default value at all. Do we have any case
> where the trigger information is not provided by the firmware (DT or
> ACPI), and where we rely on the default being set?

That happened with boardfiles. Which used to be the case with
some of these, but AFAICT not any longer. I am uncertain about
sx150x though.

In the boardfile case, I think actually the driver is responsible to
set up the kind of interrupt trigger it wants (well it still can...
but it should nowadays trust what it is given) but very often that
did not happen, instead the drivers relied on hacks like these to
have set up a default trigger type.

Yours,
Linus Walleij