Add Allwinner Q8 tablets hardware manager

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Thu Oct 27 02:14:05 PDT 2016

Hi,

On 27-10-16 01:45, Pierre-Hugues Husson wrote:
> Hi,

>> And as I tried to explain before, for this specific use-case describing
>> all this board specific knowledge in a generic manner in dt is simply
>> impossible, unless we add a turing complete language to dt aka aml.
>

> You keep saying this is a "specific use-case", but I don't agree.
> Most of cheap phone and tablets SoC manufacturer's Linux variant that I know of have (rather stupid) auto-detection methods.

True.

> Not every phone manufacturer use it, because some have proper and constant supply chain, but still, that's not always the case.
> For instance you might look at this dts: https://github.com/Dee-UK/RK3288_Lollipop_Kernel/commit/9e056a10b0a773d285e8d2ae819e7c2451816492#diff-b25e1abc92522c85e9ef28704bf9284aR410
> This DTS is meant, like what you do, to be compatible with as many devices as possible at once.
> So it declares 4 different PMICs (and no they will never all be there at the same time), and two different accelerometers, 3 audio codecs, and two touchscreens.
> Or you can look at CodeAurora (Qualcomm public opensource tree) DTSs and see that a standard DTS support at least three different panels ( see https://github.com/omnirom/android_kernel_oppo_msm8974/blob/27080b724f4cf281d598e7830abc5fc1292b5803/arch/arm/boot/dts/msm8974-mtp.dtsi#L15 )
> And that's the fairly clean examples. Some SoC kernels are still using good old platform_data detection methods.
>
> Thus I believe that having a board-specific driver is not a good thing, because we would get many of those.

In my experience with these cheap boards, there is a mix of auto-probing +
device / revision specific os-image modifications. I keep coming back to
the touchscreen controller firmware (but also the orientation), for the
gsl1680 controller I need at least 2 different firmware files (per gsl1680
revision) to make all q8 tablets I have working. This is simply not solved
by the vendor android code, they just shove the right firmware into the
os-image. Likewise for the touchscreen orientation (x-mirored, y-mirored,
etc) too is just a hard-coded setting in the os-image.

Thinking more about this, we may be able to come up with a generic way to
deal with i2c device detection, just like many vendor os-images are doing.

The kernel actually already has a detect() method in struct i2c_driver,
we could use that (we would need to implement it in drivers which do not
have it yet). Note on second thought it seems it may be better to use
probe() for this, see below.

Then we could have something like this in dt:

&i2c0 {
	touchscreen1: gsl1680 at 40 {
		reg = <0x40>;
		compatible = "silead,gsl1680";
		enable-gpios = <&pio 7 1 GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH>; /* PH1 */
		status = "disabled";
	};

	touchscreen2: ektf2127 at 15 {
		reg = <0x15>;
		compatible = "elan,ektf2127";
		enable-gpios = <&pio 7 1 GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH>; /* PH1 */
		status = "disabled";
	};

	i2c-probe-stop-at-first-match = <&touchscreen1>, <&touchscreen2>;
}

Which would make the i2c subsys call detect (*) on each device, until
a device is found. Likewise we could have a "i2c-probe-all" property
which also walks a list of phandles but does not stop on the first
match.

Mark would something like this scheme work for you ?

Note that things are not this simple though, there are multiple challenges
with this approach:

1) pinctrl, even the detect() method of the driver may need to use
e.g. some gpios so we would need to activate pinctrl as normally the
kernel device core would do this before calling probe(). This is solvable,
but I wonder if we need to mention anything about this in the bindings
docs ? Note this would be solved by just instantiating the client / device
and then try probe().

2) Note the enable-gpios, those will need to be handled in the detect()
method, but this requires a device to be instantiated to call devm_get_...
on, likewise for other resources.

Alternatively the probe code could know about this (as part of the
i2c-probe-stop-at-first-match binding) and enable it before probing ?

3) Optional regulators, I've one q8 tablet where the touchscreen is