Question about arm64 earlycon

Duc Dang dhdang at apm.com
Mon Oct 24 10:24:19 PDT 2016

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 4:09 AM, Mark Rutland <mark.rutland at arm.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 11:17:36AM +0100, Marc Zyngier wrote:

> What exactly are you passing on the command line?

This is what I have:
earlyprintk=uart8250-32bit,0x1c020000

I should be more specific: the early console prints characters just
fine (I see all the early boot log). Only at the moment before
switching to the real console, I occasionally see some garbage
characters.

> Was the UART already configured by FW? Had the firmware output anything
> at this point?

Yes, UART was already configured by FW (U-Boot) and at this point,
U-Boot is already gone.

> Did the firmware's UART rate match that of the kernel? If not, the issue
> might just be that the rate doesn't match; earlycon/earlyprintk won't
> configure that, while the real console will.

The baud-rate does not change between U-Boot and kernel.

> Or perhaps we race with some clock configuration...

> > > I don't think we every supported earlyprintk on arm64, and
> > > earlycon support may have been added later.
> >
> > We did support some form of earlyprintk for a while (though not in the
> > same way as 32bit ARM does), until Rob introduced earlycon.
>
> Our earlyprintk up until that point was effectively a less general
> earlycon (coming up at a similar time). In fact, in v3.12 we were
> already using earlycon structures in arch/arm64/kernel/early_printk.c.

Yes, early_printk.c for arm64 is supported until Rob removed it and
replaced by earlycon at kernel v3.16

> Thanks,
> Mark.
Regards,