master build: 2 failures 4 warnings (v4.8-11811-g35ff96d)

Thomas Gleixner tglx at linutronix.de
Mon Oct 17 09:50:34 PDT 2016

On Fri, 14 Oct 2016, Lee Jones wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2016, Mark Brown wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 07:30:35AM +0100, Build bot for Mark Brown wrote:
> >
> > Linus' tree is currently failing to build arm and arm64 allmodconfigs
> > with:
> >
> > > 	arm64-allmodconfig
> > > ERROR: "irq_set_parent" [drivers/mfd/tps65217.ko] undefined!
> >
> > > 	arm-allmodconfig
> > > ERROR: "irq_set_parent" [drivers/mfd/tps65217.ko] undefined!
> >
> > due to 6556bdacf646fc (mfd: tps65217: Add support for IRQs) since
> > irq_set_parent() isn't exported.  This has been present in -next
> > for getting on for a month, a patch was proposed adding the relevant
> > export but that isn't present in -next yet.
> >
> > The function is being used in order to enable lazy IRQ disabling for
> > threaded interrupts:
> >
> > 	https://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg532864.html
> >
> > What's the plan for getting this fixed in Linus' tree?
>
> Here's the conversation:
>
>   https://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg531850.html
>
> I'm waiting on a firm answer from Arnd and Thomas before applying
> anything.

As I said, we can export it, if it's needed to make the driver modular. But
we definitely don't want to export it just to make the build happy.

Grigoryi has an excellent answer here:

   https://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg532864.html

Only the driver authors/maintainers can decide whether this is the case or
not.

Thanks,

	tglx