Tearing down DMA transfer setup after DMA client has finished

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at armlinux.org.uk
Fri Nov 25 06:56:35 PST 2016

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 02:40:21PM +0000, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> Russell King - ARM Linux <linux at armlinux.org.uk> writes:

> >> That's why I suggested to do this only if the needed delay is known to
> >> be no more than a few bus cycles.  The completion callback is currently
> >> the only post-transfer interaction we have between the dma and device
> >> drivers.  To handle an arbitrarily long delay, some new interface will
> >> be required.
> >
> > And now we're back at the point I made a few emails ago about undue
> > burden which is just about quoted above...
>
> So what do you suggest?  Stick our heads in the sand and pretend
> everything is perfect?

Look, if you're going to be arsey, don't be surprised if I start getting
the urge to repeat previous comments.

Let's try and keep this on a technical basis for once, rather than
decending into insults.

So, wind back to my original email where I started talking about PL08x
already doing something along these lines.  Before a DMA user can make
use of a DMA channel, it has to be requested.  Once a DMA user has
finished, it can free up the channel.

What this means is that there's already a solution here - but it depends
how many DMA channels and how many active DMA users there are.  It's
entirely possible to set the mapping up when a DMA user requests a
DMA channel, leave it setup, and only tear it down when the channel
is eventually freed.

At that point, there's no need to spin-wait or sleep to delay the
tear-down of the channel - and I'd suggest that approach _until_
such time that there are more users than there are DMA channels.  This
has minimal overhead, it doesn't screw up RT threads (which include
IRQ threads), and it doesn't spread the maintanence burden across
drivers with a new custom API just for one SoC.

If (or when) the number of active users exceeds the number of hardware
DMA channels, then there's a decision to be made:

1) either limit the number of peripherals that we support DMA on for
   the SoC.
2) add the delay or API as necessary and switch to dynamic channel
   allocation to incoming requests.

Until that point is reached, there's no point inventing new APIs for
something that isn't actually a problem yet.

--
RMK's Patch system: http://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
according to speedtest.net.