[GIT PULL] Second Round of Renesas ARM Based SoC Updates for v4.10

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Tue Nov 22 01:56:11 PST 2016

Hi Olof,

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 5:35 PM, Olof Johansson <olof at lixom.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 8:27 AM, Geert Uytterhoeven
> <geert at linux-m68k.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 5:19 PM, Olof Johansson <olof at lixom.net> wrote:

>>> So don't turn on that pinctrl driver unless you have that SoC?
>>
>> The enablement of the pinctrl driver (and the clock driver, FWIW) is controlled
>> by the SoC Kconfig symbol. If you want support for the SoC, you want the
>> pinctrl driver, too.
>
> Oh, that's trivial to fix! Do as almost all other SoCs do, and don't
> use silent options.

What does that gain us? The ability to enable support for an SoC, without
enabling the accompanying pinctrl driver, leading to a non-booting system?

As soon as you have any pinctrl properties in the DT, you need the pinctrl
driver. Unless you disable CONFIG_PINCTRL (it's selected, and not
user-controlled), and rely on fragile reset state/boot loader.

Pinctrl (and clock and irqchip) on-SoC drivers are special: if you fail to
include them, the system won't boot.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds