[GIT PULL] Allwinner DT changes for 4.10

Maxime Ripard maxime.ripard at free-electrons.com
Mon Nov 21 14:22:09 PST 2016

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 08:28:09AM -0800, Olof Johansson wrote:
> HI,
>
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 5:27 AM, Maxime Ripard
> <maxime.ripard at free-electrons.com> wrote:
> > Hi Olof,
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 04:23:16PM -0800, Olof Johansson wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> [...]
> >> >
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> NTC isn't the SoC manufacturer, and we try to keep the prefixes down to
> >> manufacturer to keep the namespace a little more manageable, even if
> >> we never got subdirectories setup as on arm64.
> >>
> >> I think this should probably be sun4i-a10-gr8 or sun4i-r8-gr8 as prefix?
> >
> > The users really expect a SoC from Nextthing, it's always been
> > marketed that way, the marking on the SoC also says so, etc. The fact
> > that it's been a design in cooperation with Allwinner, and that the
> > design is based on some earlier family is an implementation detail,
> > and I'd really like not for it to have the sun5i prefix, it's just
> > confusing.
>
> I don't care so much about what's printed on the top of the package, I
> care a lot more about what's on the insides. We've got a long
> tradition of not renaming things randomly when companies get acquired
> or renames themselves, and I think that same spirit is applicable
> here.

Yet, we called the imx23 and imx28 that way while it was really a
sigmatel design. And I'm pretty sure there's other examples too.

> Calling it an SoC is inaccurate as well, it's really a
> system-in-package. It's just a new way to integrate an SoC into a
> module to build boards out of. Compare to Octavo OSD335x, for example.
>
> System-in-package solutions are going to get more and more common, and
> it's going to become really chaotic if we expect to use the prefix of
> the company custom-ordering the package for each and every one of
> them.

This is indeed a SIP, but one with a custom SoC (or whatever the !RAM
part in a SIP is called) that was designed by Allwinner *and* Next
Thing Co., unlike the OSD335x that has a standard AM335x SoC in it.

> > And the ntc prefix has been asked for during the reviews...
>
> Having a link to that requeset/email would be helpful if you try to
> use it as an argument.

Yeah, it turns out it was off list... so it's a pretty weak one :)

Maxime

--
Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering