[BUG] i2c-designware silently fails on long transfers

Mika Westerberg mika.westerberg at linux.intel.com
Mon Nov 21 03:09:47 PST 2016

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 10:43:29AM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 12:29:01PM +0200, Mika Westerberg wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 07:35:42PM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > > Another mitigation would be to lower the I2C bus frequency on Juno from
> > > 400kHz to 100kHz, so that there's 4x longer IRQ latency possible.
> > > However, even that isn't going to be reliable - even going to 100kHz
> > > isn't going to allow the above case to be solved - the interrupt is
> > > delayed by around 2ms, and it takes about 1.4ms to send/receive 16 bytes
> > > at 100kHz.  (9 * 16 / (100*10^3)).
> > >
> > > So, I think all hope is lost for i2c-designware on Juno to cope with
> > > reading the EDID from TDA998x reliably.
> >
> > :-(
> >
> > I wonder if we can get it work more reliably by using DMA (provided that
> > there are DMA channels available for I2C in Juno)? That would allow the
> > hardware to perform longer reads without relying on how fast the
> > interrupt handler is able to empty the Rx FIFO.
>
> It would need to DMA to the Tx FIFO to keep it filled - it triggers the
> stop condition when the Tx FIFO empties.  From what I can see in the
> driver, the Tx FIFO not only takes the data but also a "command" to tell
> the hardware what to do.

Yes, the command is either "read" or "write" (meaning even for Rx a
write to the Tx FIFO is needed).

> The Rx FIFO would also need DMA to avoid it overflowing due to high
> interrupt latency.

I guess for Rx we would need to supply a dummy buffer of "read" commands
for the Tx FIFO in addition to reading bytes from Rx FIFO. But still
that might help to improve reliability in case of Juno.

> I don't know what state DMA is in on the Juno, or even whether it has
> DMA - it has a PL330 DMA controller, but I see nothing in the DT files
> making use of it.

OK