[GIT PULL] Second Round of Renesas ARM Based SoC DT Updates for v4.10

Simon Horman horms at verge.net.au
Mon Nov 21 02:53:18 PST 2016

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 05:49:29PM -0800, Olof Johansson wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 03:11:45PM +0100, Simon Horman wrote:
> > Hi Olof, Hi Kevin, Hi Arnd,
> >
> > Please consider these second round of Renesas ARM based SoC DT updates for v4.10.
> >
> > This pull request is based on a merge of:
> >
> > * The previous round of such requests, tagged as renesas-dt-for-v4.10,
> >   which I have already sent a pull-request for.
> > * The rzg-clock-defs tag of Geert Uytterhoeven's renesas-driver's tree.
> >   This is to provide dependencies for adding the r8a7743 and r8a7745 SoCs.
> > * The "Second Round of Renesas ARM Based SoC Drivers Updates for v4.10",
> >   tagged as renesas-drivers2-for-v4.10, which I have also sent a pull
> >   request for. This is included to provide dependencies for adding device
> >   nodes for PRR, and adding the r8a7743 and r8a7745 SoCs.
>
> Again, nack. And again, I don't understand why you create dependencies that
> aren't needed. Please fix.

Hi Olof,

I agree that calling out PRR above was incorrect. Please disregard that.

However, there are dependencies for adding r8a7743 and r8a7745 SoCs
in the form of header files:

* The rzg-clock-defs tag provides dt-bindings/clock/r8a774[35]-cpg-mssr.h
* The renesas-drivers2-for-v4.10 tag provides
  dt-bindings/power/r8a774[35]-sysc.h

The drivers branches are usually pretty light-weight. But this time it is a
bit heavy and you rightly raised some questions about it. After some
discussion with Geert we'd like to suggest that for future releases
we provide a "driver-defs" branch which both driver code and DT can
depend on. Thus avoiding pulling (non essential) driver changes into the DT
branch.

Unfortunately its a bit late to do that for v4.10 as the r8a7743 sysc
driver and its defines were already accepted accepted together
(renesas-drivers-for-v4.10 tag). So for this release we would be grateful
if you could re-consider the renesas-drivers2-for-v4.10 tag given the
feedback which Geert has provided. And in turn re-consider this pull
request.