[GIT PULL 1/10] mailbox: Add Tegra HSP driver

Thierry Reding thierry.reding at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 00:17:52 PST 2016

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 06:27:42PM -0800, Olof Johansson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 05:17:10PM +0100, Thierry Reding wrote:
> > Hi ARM SoC maintainers,
> >
> > The following changes since commit 1001354ca34179f3db924eb66672442a173147dc:
> >
> >   Linux 4.9-rc1 (2016-10-15 12:17:50 -0700)
> >
> > are available in the git repository at:
> >
> >   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tegra/linux.git tags/tegra-for-4.10-mailbox
> >
> > for you to fetch changes up to 68050eb6c611527232fe5574c7306e97e47499ef:
> >
> >   mailbox: tegra-hsp: Use after free in tegra_hsp_remove_doorbells() (2016-11-18 14:32:13 +0100)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Thierry

> > mailbox: Add Tegra HSP driver
> >
> > This contains the device tree bindings and a driver for the Tegra HSP, a
> > hardware block that provides hardware synchronization primitives and is
> > the foundation for inter-processor communication between CPU and BPMP.

> > Dan Carpenter (1):
> >       mailbox: tegra-hsp: Use after free in tegra_hsp_remove_doorbells()
> >
> > Joseph Lo (2):
> >       soc/tegra: Add Tegra186 support
>
> I don't think you really needed to merge this in here, since all you need it
> for is to fulfill the kconfig dependency and enable the driver, right? That'd
> happen when the driver and soc branch is merged at the toplevel anyway.

The reason I did this is that I wanted each branch to be buildable as a
way to confirm that the dependencies are correct. In order to do that I
need the Kconfig symbol to enable the driver.

I suppose there are other ways I could've done that, though. Maybe in
the future new SoC Kconfig symbols should just be introduced way ahead
of time, so that they're already in a release or two before actual code
starts to emerge.

> Anyhow, no damage done, I've merged this in. I would say that it'd be a little
> more logical to send the SoC branch before the driver branch given this
> dependency though.

The reason that the SoC branch was sent after is because only the first
commit in that branch was pulled into the mailbox branch.

In retrospect, I think perhaps a better approach would've been to have a
separate branch with only the Kconfig symbol addition and pull that in
where needed.

Thanks,
Thierry