spin_lock behavior with ARM64 big.Little/HMP

Vikram Mulukutla markivx at codeaurora.org
Fri Nov 18 12:22:23 PST 2016

Hi Sudeep,

Thanks for taking a look!

On 2016-11-18 02:30, Sudeep Holla wrote:
> Hi Vikram,
>
> On 18/11/16 02:22, Vikram Mulukutla wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> This isn't really a bug report, but just a description of a
>> frequency/IPC
>> dependent behavior that I'm curious if we should worry about. The
>> behavior
>> is exposed by questionable design so I'm leaning towards don't-care.
>>
>> Consider these threads running in parallel on two ARM64 CPUs running
>> mainline
>> Linux:
>>

> Are you seeing this behavior with the mainline kernel on any platforms
> as we have a sort of workaround for this ?

If I understand that workaround correctly, the ARM timer event stream is
used
to periodically wake up CPUs that are waiting in WFE, is that right? I
think
my scenario below may be different because LittleCPU doesn't actually
wait
on a WFE event in the loop that is trying to increment lock->next, i.e.
it's
stuck in the following loop:

         ARM64_LSE_ATOMIC_INSN(
         /* LL/SC */
"       prfm    pstl1strm, %3\n"
"1:     ldaxr   %w0, %3\n"
"       add     %w1, %w0, %w5\n"
"       stxr    %w2, %w1, %3\n"
"       cbnz    %w2, 1b\n",

I have been testing internal platforms; I'll try to test on something
available publicly that's b.L. In any case, the timer event stream was
enabled
when I tried this out.

>> (Ordering of lines between the two columns does not indicate a
>> sequence of
>> execution. Assume flag=0 initially.)
>>
>> LittleARM64_CPU @ 300MHz (e.g.A53)   |  BigARM64_CPU @ 1.5GHz (e.g.
>> A57)
>> -------------------------------------+----------------------------------
>> spin_lock_irqsave(s)                 |  local_irq_save()
>> /* critical section */
>> flag = 1                             |  spin_lock(s)
>> spin_unlock_irqrestore(s)            |  while (!flag) {
>>                                      |      spin_unlock(s)
>>                                      |      cpu_relax();
>>                                      |      spin_lock(s)
>>                                      |  }