Boot failures in -next due to 'ARM: dts: imx: Remove skeleton.dtsi'

Guenter Roeck linux at roeck-us.net
Thu Nov 17 08:17:00 PST 2016

On 11/17/2016 07:05 AM, Mark Rutland wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 06:44:55AM -0800, Guenter Roeck wrote:

>>> Memory nodes require this property per ePAPR and the devicetree.org
>>> spec, so the bug is that we didn't add those when removing the
>>> skeleton.dtsi include.
>>
>> The downside from qemu perspective is that the real hardware seems
>> to add the property unconditionally, or the boot failure would have
>> been seen there as well.
>>
>> I submitted https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/695951/; we'll see how it goes.
>
> Sure, the firmare/bootlaoder you're using may add this automatically.
>
> My worry is that adding this to a generic file in QEMU only serves to
> mask this class of bug for other boards (i.e. they'll work fine in QEMU,
> but not on real HW using whatever bootlaoder happens ot be there).

Good point.

What would be the correct behavior for qemu ? Adding a chosen node if it does
not exist is one detail we already established. Also, I think a check if
/memory/device_type exists (and to bail out if it doesn't) would make sense.

What about the memory node ? Does it have to exist, or should it be added
(including the device_type property) if not ?

Thanks,
Guenter