specifying order of /dev/mmcblk devices via device-tree?

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at armlinux.org.uk
Mon Nov 14 11:08:40 PST 2016

So, someone merged a patch which makes mmcblk devices follow the
host controller numbering.

Now my cubox-i fails to boot correctly because the SD card in the
_only_ SD card slot now gets called "mmcblk1" and not "mmcblk0".

USDHC1 is wired to the on-microsom WiFi, and never has anything
remotely near a SD card or eMMC present.  So, this change is
confusing on these platforms.

Moreover, this is _going_ to break SolidRun distros if people upgrade
their kernels.

It may be appropriate for eMMC, but it's not appropriate everywhere.

This is a user visible _regression_ in 4.9-rc.  Whoever did this,
please revert whatever change caused this, and next time limit it
to only eMMC.

Thanks.

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 09:45:00AM -0700, Tim Harvey wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 8:37 AM, Mark Rutland <mark.rutland at arm.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 08:23:04AM -0700, Tim Harvey wrote:
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> I have an IMX6 board that has the following:
> >> sdhc1: mmc0: sdio radio
> >> sdhc2: mmc1: /dev/mmcblk1: microSD connector
> >> sdhc3: mmc2: /dev/mmcblk2: on-board eMMC
> >>
> >> I would like to have sdhc3 registered as /dev/mmcblk0 and sdhc2
> >> registered as /dev/mmcblk1 so that permanent storage is the first
> >> mmcblk device as I think this is more intuitive however currently
> >> these get instanced in the order they appear in the imx6qdl.dtsi
> >> device-tree configuration and are not able to be mapped the way I want
> >> them in my dts file.
> >>
> >> Is there a way, or if not is there a desire for a way, to specify the
> >> order of /dev/mmcblk devices via device-tree?
> >
> > As with many other devices, there is no standard way of controlling the
> > Linux enumeration (and given the ID space is shared with other dynamic
> > devices it's not something that could generally work).
> >
> > These should be refererd to by UUID if possible.
> >
> > If not, we could cosider adding a by-dt-path or something like that.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mark.
>
> Mark / Javier/ Fabio,
>
> Thanks - this is very useful.
>
> Yes, I agree that using UUID's is the way to go and now I see how that
> can be easily accessed via uboot 'part' command.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tim

RMK's Patch system: http://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
according to speedtest.net.