[RFC v2 8/8] iommu/arm-smmu: implement add_reserved_regions callback

Auger Eric eric.auger at redhat.com
Mon Nov 14 08:08:16 PST 2016

Hi Joerg,

On 14/11/2016 16:31, Joerg Roedel wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 05:45:19PM +0100, Auger Eric wrote:
>> On 11/11/2016 17:22, Joerg Roedel wrote:
>>> So I think we need a way to tell userspace about the reserved regions
>>> (per iommu-group) so that userspace knows where it can not map anything,
>
>> Current plan is to expose that info through an iommu-group sysfs
>> attribute, as you and Robin advised.
>
> Great.
>
>>> and VFIO can enforce that. But the right struct here is not an
>>> iova-allocator rb-tree, a ordered linked list should be sufficient.
>> I plan a linked list to store the reserved regions (P2P regions, MSI
>> region, ...). get_dma_regions is called with a list local to a function
>> for that. Might be needed to move that list head in the iommu_group to
>> avoid calling the get_dm_regions again in the attribute show function?
>
> You can re-use the get_dm_regions() call-back available in the iommu-ops
> already. Just rename it and add a flag to it which tells the iommu-core
> whether that region needs to be mapped or not.
>
>> But to allocate the IOVAs within the MSI reserved region, I understand
>> you don't want us to use the iova.c allocator, is that correct? We need
>> an allocator though, even a very basic one based on bitmap or whatever.
>> There potentially have several different physical MSI frame pages to map.
>
> I don't get this, what do you need and address-allocator for?

There are potentially several MSI doorbell physical pages in the SOC
that are accessed through the IOMMU (translated). Each of those must
have a corresponding IOVA and IOVA/PA mapping programmed in the IOMMU.
Else MSI will fault.

- step 1 was to define a usable IOVA range for MSI mapping. So now we
decided the base address and size would be hardcoded for ARM. The
get_dm_region can be used to retrieve that hardcoded region.
- Step2 is to allocate IOVAs within that range and map then for each of
those MSI doorbells. This is done in the MSI controller compose() callback.

I hope I succeeded in clarifying this time.

Robin sent today a new version of its cookie think using a dummy
allocator. I am currently integrating it.

Thanks

Eric