KASAN & the vmalloc area

Mark Rutland mark.rutland at arm.com
Wed Nov 9 10:30:17 PST 2016

On Wed, Nov 09, 2016 at 10:16:03AM -0800, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 2:56 AM, Mark Rutland <mark.rutland at arm.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 02:09:27PM -0800, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
> >> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Mark Rutland <mark.rutland at arm.com> wrote:
> >> I've seen the same iteration slowness problem on x86 with
> >> CONFIG_DEBUG_RODATA which walks all pages. The is about 1 minute, but
> >> it is enough to trigger rcu stall warning.
> >
> > Interesting; do you know where that happens? I can't spot any obvious
> > case where we'd have to walk all the page tables for DEBUG_RODATA.
>
> As far as I remember it was this path:
>
> mark_readonly in main.c -> mark_rodata_ro -> debug_checkwx ->
> ptdump_walk_pgd_level_checkwx -> ptdump_walk_pgd_level_core.

Ah, that's x86's equivalent DEBUG_WX checks.

> >> The zero pud and vmalloc-ed stacks looks like different problems.
> >> To overcome the slowness we could map zero shadow for vmalloc area lazily.
> >> However for vmalloc-ed stacks we need to map actual memory, because
> >> stack instrumentation will read/write into the shadow.
> >
> > Sure. The point I was trying to make is that there' be fewer page tables
> > to walk (unless the vmalloc area was exhausted), assuming we also lazily
> > mapped the common zero shadow for the vmalloc area.
> >
> >> One downside here is that vmalloc shadow can be as large as 1:1 (if we
> >> allocate 1 page in vmalloc area we need to allocate 1 page for
> >> shadow).
> >
> > I thought per prior discussion we'd only need to allocate new pages for
> > the stacks in the vmalloc region, and we could re-use the zero pages?
>
> We can't reuse zero ro pages for stacks, because stack instrumentation
> writes to stack shadow.

Sorry, I'd meant we'd use the zero pages for everything else but stacks.
I understand we'd have to allocate real shadow for the stacks.

> When we have a large continuous range of memory, shadow for it is
> 1/8th. However, if we have a separate page, we will need to map whole
> page of shadow for it, i.e. 1:1 shadow overhead.

Sure, but for everything but stacks we can re-use the same zero pages,
no?

For everything else, the cost would be dominated by the page tables for
the shadow.

Thanks,
Mark.