[RFC] Reset pins of phys and their representation in a device tree

Javier Martinez Canillas javier at dowhile0.org
Thu May 12 07:06:11 PDT 2016

Hello ChenYu

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 9:49 AM, Chen-Yu Tsai <wens at csie.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 9:40 PM, Javier Martinez Canillas
> <javier at dowhile0.org> wrote:
>> [adding Krzysztof as cc]
>>
>> On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 8:25 AM, Sergei Shtylyov
>> <sergei.shtylyov at cogentembedded.com> wrote:

>>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/616495/
>>>
>>>    I'll post a new version RSN.
>>>

>> This seems to be similar to what's needed by MMC/SD/SDIO devices (i.e:
>> a WiFi chip) that needs some power sequence for reset and be
>> enumerable.
>>
>> Krzysztof has been working  to make the MMC pwrseq framework more
>> generic [0] since he wants to use it also for built-in USB devices.
>>
>> From a quick look at the patches mentioned in this thread, it seems
>> that the same framework can be used to reset the PHYs unless I'm
>> missing something. Have you considered using this? It would be good if
>> there is a consistent way to define the power sequence for devices
>> across the different subsystems.
>>
>> [0]: https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/5/5/230
>
> You probably missed the part that Rob nacked the bindings in that
> series?

No, I didn't miss that. AFAICT the way forward is still being
discussed as you can see from the last email in that thread from Ulf
[0].

And yes, the DT bindings is likely to change (keeping the backward
compat for MMC) which is good,  but still the power sequence
management code can be reused across subsystems.

> Putting the reset gpios under the PHY nodes and handling it from
> phylib is probably the way to go. I'd like to ask for regulator
> and clock support as well, if possible.

A GPIO array, clock and regulator (after Krzysztof patch) is already
supported by the pwrseq_simple provider for example.

[0]: https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/5/10/320