Suspicious error for CMA stress test

Xishi Qiu qiuxishi at huawei.com
Mon Mar 7 17:42:00 PST 2016

On 2016/3/4 13:33, Hanjun Guo wrote:

> Hi Joonsoo,
>
> On 2016/3/4 10:02, Joonsoo Kim wrote:

>>> [...]
>>> I tested with malloc_size with 2M, and it grows much bigger than 1M, also I
>>> did some other test:
>> Thanks! Now, I can re-generate erronous situation you mentioned.
>>
>>>  - run with single thread with 100000 times, everything is fine.
>>>
>>>  - I hack the cam_alloc() and free as below [1] to see if it's lock issue, with
>>>    the same test with 100 multi-thread, then I got:
>> [1] would not be sufficient to close this race.
>>
>> Try following things [A]. And, for more accurate test, I changed code a bit more
>> to prevent kernel page allocation from cma area [B]. This will prevent kernel
>> page allocation from cma area completely so we can focus cma_alloc/release race.
>>
>> Although, this is not correct fix, it could help that we can guess
>> where the problem is.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> [A]
>
> I tested this solution [A], it can fix the problem, as you are posting a new patch, I will
> test that one and leave [B] alone :)

Hi Joonsoo,

How does this problem happen? Why the count is larger than total?

Patch A prevent the cma page free to pcp, right?

-               if (unlikely(is_migrate_isolate(migratetype))) {
+               if (is_migrate_cma(migratetype) ||
+                       unlikely(is_migrate_isolate(migratetype))) {

Thanks,
Xishi Qiu