Suspicious error for CMA stress test

Laura Abbott labbott at redhat.com
Wed Mar 2 17:25:24 PST 2016

(cc -mm and Joonsoo Kim)

On 03/02/2016 05:52 AM, Hanjun Guo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I came across a suspicious error for CMA stress test:
>
> Before the test, I got:
> -bash-4.3# cat /proc/meminfo | grep Cma
> CmaTotal:         204800 kB
> CmaFree:          195044 kB
>

> After running the test:
> -bash-4.3# cat /proc/meminfo | grep Cma
> CmaTotal:         204800 kB
> CmaFree:         6602584 kB
>
> So the freed CMA memory is more than total..
>
> Also the the MemFree is more than mem total:
>
> -bash-4.3# cat /proc/meminfo
> MemTotal:       16342016 kB
> MemFree:        22367268 kB
> MemAvailable:   22370528 kB
>
> Here is the kernel module doing the stress test below (if the test case
> is wrong, correct me), any help would be great appreciated.
>
> The test is running on ARM64 platform (hisilicon D02) with 4.4 kernel, I think
> the 4.5-rc is the same as I didn't notice the updates for it.
>
> int malloc_dma(void *data)
> {
>      void *vaddr;
>      struct platform_device * pdev=(struct platform_device*)data;
>      dma_addr_t dma_handle;
>      int i;
>
>      for(i=0; i<1000; i++) {
>          vaddr=dma_alloc_coherent(&pdev->dev, malloc_size, &dma_handle, GFP_KERNEL);
>          if (!vaddr)
>              pr_err("alloc cma memory failed!\n");
>
>          mdelay(1);
>
>          if (vaddr)
>                  dma_free_coherent(&pdev->dev,malloc_size,vaddr, dma_handle);
>      }
>      pr_info("alloc free cma memory success return!\n");
>      return 0;
> }
>
> static int dma_alloc_coherent_init(struct platform_device *pdev)
> {
>      int i;
>
>      for(i=0; i<100; i++)   {
>          task[i] = kthread_create(malloc_dma,pdev,"malloc_dma_%d",i);
>          if(!task[i]) {
>              printk("kthread_create faile %d\n",i);
>              continue;
>          }
>          wake_up_process(task[i]);
>      }
>      return 0;
> }
>
> Thanks
> Hanjun
>
> The whole /proc/meminfo:
>
> -bash-4.3# cat /proc/meminfo
> MemTotal:       16342016 kB
> MemFree:        22367268 kB
> MemAvailable:   22370528 kB
> Buffers:            4292 kB
> Cached:            36444 kB
> SwapCached:            0 kB
> Active:            23564 kB
> Inactive:          25360 kB
> Active(anon):       8424 kB
> Inactive(anon):       64 kB
> Active(file):      15140 kB
> Inactive(file):    25296 kB
> Unevictable:           0 kB
> Mlocked:               0 kB
> SwapTotal:             0 kB
> SwapFree:              0 kB
> Dirty:                 0 kB
> [...]

I played with this a bit and can see the same problem. The sanity
check of CmaFree < CmaTotal generally triggers in
__move_zone_freepage_state in unset_migratetype_isolate.
This also seems to be present as far back as v4.0 which was the
first version to have the updated accounting from Joonsoo.
Were there known limitations with the new freepage accounting,
Joonsoo?

Thanks,
Laura