Platform-specific suspend/resume code in drivers

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Fri Jun 10 06:39:16 PDT 2016

Hi Alan,

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 5:05 PM, Alan Stern <stern at rowland.harvard.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2016, Mason wrote:

>> > Those drivers should already take care of their own contexts.  Is
>> > there anything platform-specific you need to do in addition?
>>
>> Take the eth driver, for example:
>>
>>   http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/net/ethernet/aurora/nb8800.c
>>
>> It doesn't have any suspend/resume callbacks.
>>
>> Would that make the suspend request fail?
>
> There are plenty of drivers that don't have suspend/resume callbacks.
> (Fewer than there used to be, fortunately.)  They don't make suspend
> fail; rather, the PM core just skips over them when carrying out a
> suspend.
>
> Of course, if a driver needs suspend support but doesn't include it,
> then it's quite likely the driver will not work properly after the
> system has been resumed.  But that's not a platform-specific issue.

It may be. The same device may be present on different SoCs. On some
SoCs, the device may be part of a power area, on others not.
When running on the former SoC, the driver needs to save/restore registers,
while this is not needed (but harmless, except for a small time impact)
on the latter SoC.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds