[RFC 1/1] ARM: print MHz in /proc/cpuinfo

Jon Mason jon.mason at broadcom.com
Thu Jun 9 10:36:42 PDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 5:09 AM, Sudeep Holla <sudeep.holla at arm.com> wrote:

> On 08/06/16 20:31, Jon Mason wrote:

>>> How do guarantee that it's the current frequency of the CPU ?
>>

>> I am basing it on the assumption (perhaps incorrect) that the clock in
>> the CPU DT corresponds to the one determining the CPU clock rate.  And,
>> that this clock rate is accurate in describing the speed at which the
>> CPU is currently running.
>>

> As you already noticed, it's not always correct.
>
> [..]
>

>>> What if they just don't have in DT but have DVFS support ?
>>

>> This can be extended to cover DVFS or SMC calls or anything else.
>> This was simply a first step to cover what appeared to be the most
>> prevalent case.
>>

> Using DVFS/CPUFreq makes this DT based approach irrelevant.
>
>>> Also whey do we need this support when the user-space can query the
>>> CPUFreq sysfs which is more accurate and maintains the current running
>>> frequency ?
>>

>> This is exactly what x86 is doing to provide its value in
>> /proc/cpuinfo.  I could easily augment this patch to call
>> cpufreq_quick_get(), if it returns 0, then call clk_get_rate().  If
>> both return 0, then simply not print out anything (which would cover
>> all of the possibilities).  Or, I could have it just call
>> cpufreq_quick_get() to get the value.
>>

> Agree x86 has, may be for legacy reasons. It even has CPUFreq sysfs
> entries which is architecture agnostic while /proc/cpuinfo is more
> architecture based. So applications that want to be portable across
> architectures must choose the generic CPUFreq sysfs path rather than
> some x86 based cpuinfo.

Thank you for educating me.  I am taking this (and RMK's comment) as
any modification to add CPU speed to /proc/cpuinfo is not welcomed,
anyone who wants to query this should instead look at cpufreq in
sysfs, and any dev who wants to add such a thing should look into
writing a driver in drivers/cpufreq/.

Thanks,
Jon