[RFC 3/6] dt/bindings: Add bindings for Tegra20/30 NOR bus driver

Thierry Reding thierry.reding at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 07:15:44 PDT 2016

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 03:16:28PM +0200, Mirza Krak wrote:
[...]
> > The above suggests that one of the CAN controllers gets mapped to an
> > address 0x48000000 and the other gets mapped to 0x48040000. But why do
> > we even need a chip-select at all in that case? If both chips don't use
> > any overlapping memory region, what good does the chip-select do?
>
> If we take a look on similar controllers found on others SOCs they
> usually define an address range / chip-select.
>
> Example (weim):
> ranges = <
> 0 0 0x10000000 0x02000000
> 1 0 0x12000000 0x01000000
> 2 0 0x13000000 0x01000000
> 3 0 0x14000000 0x01000000
> 4 0 0x15000000 0x01000000
> 5 0 0x16000000 0x01000000
> >;
>
> Which means that you all ready have an address mapped to PIN function.
>
> But Tegra GMI controller is a first for me, where you do not have this
> kind of setup in hardware. Usually you also have a timing register /
> chip-select so that you can connect different chip types.
>
> The lack of hardware support do decode an address to a chip-select PIN
> function, we have implemented this our self externally.
>
> We actually have 6 different chips connected to the GMI bus and the
> "ranges" would be:
>   ranges = <
>    0 0 0x48000000 0x00000100
>    1 0 0x48040000 0x00000100
>    2 0 0x48080000 0x00000100
>    3 0 0x480A0000 0x00000100
>    4 0 0x480C0000 0x00000100
>    5 0 0x480E0000 0x00000100
>   >;
>
> And this not nothing complicated, small number of AND gates and that is it.
>
> The chip-select signal is necessary for the access characteristics, so
> we need to translate an address to an chip-select so that the chip
> knows the host CPU wants to talk to it.
>
> Do not know if I made anything more clear here :).

Yes, that clarifies many things. The presence of an external, address-
based chip-select is essential information in order to describe this
setup properly.

Given that the external chip select is entirely invisible to software, I
think a more accurate description of your setup would be:

	gmi at 70090000 {

		/* for the chip select */
		#address-cells = <1>;
		#size-cells = <0>;

		/*
		 * Technically this could be used to translate the range from
		 * 0x48000000 to 0x4fffffff into a different range, but that
		 * no longer works because of the #address-cells. Does this
		 * matter?
		 */
		ranges;

		bus at 0 {
			compatible = "simple-bus";
			reg = <0>;

			#address-cells = <1>;
			#size-cells = <1>;

			can at 48000000 {
				reg = <0x48000000 0x100>;
			};

			can at 48040000 {
				reg = <0x48040000 0x100>;
			};
		};
	};

That omits any reference to the external chip select, which I think
makes sense because it's something that software is completely unaware
of.

Perhaps one important question: does your setup use the GMI's CS lines
in any way? Or does it simply get ignored?

If it gets ignored, I suppose one could encode this as a special case:

	gmi at 70090000 {

		/* simple address translation */
		#address-cells = <1>;
		#size-cells = <1>;

		ranges = <0x48000000 0x48000000 0x08000000>;

		can at 48000000 {
			reg = <0x48000000 0x100>;
		};

		can at 48040000 {
			reg = <0x48000000 0x100>;
		};
	};

We could use that special case in order to make the driver behave in a
special way that suits your setup, namely without explicit chip-select.
The case where #size-cells = <0> could be treated as the explicit chip-
select case, that somebody could implement in the future if they need
it. All other cases could be treated as meaning that the chip-select is
automatically handled externally (like in your setup) and we simply
statically configure the controller with chip select 0 (kind of in the
way your current patch series does).

Rob, what do you think about the above?

> > Also, it seems to me that you'd have to program the SNOR_CONFIG_0
> > register in order to select a specific chip, but I don't see anything in
> > the driver access that register after the initial write of the register.
>
> This is only setup at probe.
>

> > I would've expected this to require some sort of infrastructure to allow
> > devices connected to the GMI controller to acquire the bus via some API
> > to select their chip.
>
> Yes, ultimately you would need some sort of infrastructure to allow
> devices to acquire the GMI bus if you want to solve this in software.
> But at the moment I do not see such an infrastructure in place, and is
> it feasible to add one specifically for the GMI controller? If one
> such infrastructure was in place we would need to modify all the
> drivers that want to use to include Tegra specific infrastructure to
> access the GMI bus?
>
> Since my knowledge is limited it hard for me to comment on this, maybe
> there is a simple way of doing this?

I don't think there's a simple way to do this. In order to properly
implement it we'd need to implement a generic infrastructure for chip
selects so that drivers such as the one for your CAN controller can be
written without tying them specifically to the Tegra GMI controller.

From what you and Jon were saying it sounds like the drivers are
completely agnostic of any chip-select, so conversion won't be easy.
But technically if these chips take a chip-select as input then it's
always possible to hook them up to a controller that doesn't do this
automatic translation of address to chip-select, so eventually some
setup is bound to come along where they'd need explicit chip-select
handling as well.

I don't think it's fair to require you to implement this infrastructure
if you don't actually need it. At the same time I want to be cautious
and make sure we keep the driver and binding flexible enough to allow
us to implement explicit chip-selects should we later need them.

Thierry