FPGA manager user space interface

atull atull at opensource.altera.com
Mon Jul 11 09:59:08 PDT 2016

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016, Florian Fainelli wrote:

Hi Florian,

I'm in the process of upstreaming FPGA Regions support which
allows reprogramming by applying Device Tree Overlays.  If you
want to see a tree which has the latest patches for that, I have
all that in our github tree.

https://github.com/altera-opensource/linux-socfpga/tree/socfpga-4.6

The documentation for the DT overlays is in
 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/fpga/fpga-region.txt

Documentation for the DT configfs interface is in
 Documentation/devicetree/configfs-overlays.txt

The idea here is explained at legnth in the doc, but basically
the user can use the configfs interface to apply a DT
overlay that causes the FPGA to be reprogrammed and child
devices to get added and probed.

I like DT overlays a lot, but I do not expect that (or anything
else) will be a good interface for every use case.  The FPGA
Manager Framework went through a legnthy discussion on the
mailing list where several people wanted the interface to match
what they were already using.  Interfaces similar to what you
suggest below were proposed and shot down.  My conclusion from
all that was to implement the kernel API functions such that
people could add whatever interfaces they needed for their use
case.

> Hi all,
>
> I just wrote a FPGA manager driver for the TS-7300 board which features
> an Altera Cyclone II on board. While the finished solution is my case
> might be something like the MFD driver for the FPGA devices requesting
> the bitstream load and registering the different devices it exposes,
> during development it is nice to exercise the FPGA manager driver to
> load something:

It sounds like your goal is to use the FPGA Manager API inside
the kernel, but it would be helpful to have an easy userspace
interface during development.  Is that right?

> - a quick way is to add a pair of sysfs attributes to define the
> bitstream filename and to trigger the load
>
> - offer a more consistent and robust interface through e.g; a character
> device that you can write/read/poll to see the loading progress about

Sysfs and char driver interfaces have been proposed and shot down
a few times already.

The first version of the FPGA Manager Framework was a char
driver.  To program the FPGA, the user had to do 'cat
bitstream-file > /dev/fpga0'.  Bridge support was a separate
thing that was also controlled by sysfs.  It was messy and if
userspace could easily do the wrong thing and crash the system.

> - have the driver exposing FPGA peripherals be exposing an user space
> interface to trigger a (re)load/(re)/configuration, although that's
> really something that belongs in the FPGA manager it seems

If you use the device tree configfs interface, you can do that.
It might not be exactly what you are thinking of.  And there is
a learning curve in getting the overlays right.

> I am mostly curious if these were taken into account during the initial
> design and it is agreed upon that yes these are some of options and that
> userspace loading is just anecdotal we do not need any userspace
> interface, or if this is just missing and we want one?

There will be use cases that will need various userspace interfaces.
It's been hard to get people who are already using FPGAs to agree
on using any one interface because they would have to change the
code they already have running.

> Either way, I
> don't mind submitting what I came up with for the TS-7300 board.

Yes, that would be great.