clk: Per controller locks (prepare & enable)

Krzysztof Kozlowski k.kozlowski at samsung.com
Thu Jul 7 05:42:17 PDT 2016

On 07/07/2016 02:06 PM, Charles Keepax wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 05, 2016 at 09:48:34AM -0400, Javier Martinez Canillas wrote:
>> Hello Krzysztof,
>>
>> On 07/05/2016 02:33 AM, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:
>>> On 07/04/2016 05:15 PM, Javier Martinez Canillas wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>
> I have also been have a brief look at this as we have been
> encountering issues attempting to move some of the clocking on
> our audio CODECs to the clock framework. The problems are even
> worse when the device can be controlled over SPI as well, as the
> SPI framework may occasionally defer the transfer to a worker
> thread rather than doing it in the same thread which causes the
> re-enterant behaviour of the clock locking to no longer function.

As you mentioned later, in such case per-controller-lock won't help.

>>> This is not a coincidence. This design is meant to fix this deadlock.
>>> Not by coincidence. By design.
>>>

> I think there is still some milage in thinking about them just
> to be sure, if we are going to the effort of changing the clock
> framework locking it is worth getting it right as it will be
> non-trivial.
>
> I could perhaps imagine a situation where one device is passing
> a clock to second device and that device is doing some FLL/PLL
> and passing the resulting clock back. For example supplying a
> non-audio rate clock to a CODEC which then supplies back a clock
> at an audio rate, which is used for audio functions on the first
> device.

What do you think by "passing" here? Pass the pointer to struct?

> Although that said I do think that by controller locking probably
> fixes my primary issues right now.
>
>> Ok, if the configurations I described doesn't exist in practice and are
>> just theoretical then yes, doing a per controller lock is a good design.
>>
>>> You are talking about theoretical different configurations... without
>>> even real bug reports. I am providing an idea to fix a real deadlock and
>>> your argument is that it might not fix other (non-reported) deadlocks.
>>> These other deadlocks happen now as well probably...
>>>

>> I'm not against you re-working the locks to do it per controller, is just
>> that I thought it would be good to have a solution that is going to work
>> for all possible scenarios.
>>
>> You asked for comments/opinions/ideas and I gave mine, that's all :)
>>

> I had also been leaning more towards a lock per clock rather
> than a lock per controller. But one other issue that needs to be
> kept in mind (with both the controller or clock based locking)
> through is that the enable and prepare operations propagate down
> the clock tree, where as the set rate operations propagate up the
> clock tree.  This makes things a rather furtile breeding ground
> for mutex inversions as well.

Yeah, that is the problem we were thinking about just a sec ago. :) The
set rate (and reparent which might cause set rate) is complicating the
design.

Idea I have is (simplifying only to prepare lock... leave away the enable):
1. Hava a global lock which will protect:
a. traversing clock controller hierarchy,
b. acquiring per clock controller locks,
2. Add struct for clock controller.
3. Add lock per clock controller.

The basic locking in case of prepare for a simplified case one clock per
clock controller:

A (top controller = top clock)
\-B
  \-C

clk_prepare(C) {
  global_lock();
  for (clk_ctrl = C) {
    lock(clk_ctrl);
    clk_ctrl = get_parent_controller(C);
  }
  global_unlock();

  prepare_cnt++;
  // do the same for hierarchy

  for (clk_ctrl = C) {
    unlock(clk_ctrl)
    clock = get_parent_controller(C);
  }
}

The global lock is actually needed for the case of inverted walk during
set_rate().

Best regards,
Krzysztof