clk: Per controller locks (prepare & enable)

Javier Martinez Canillas javier at osg.samsung.com
Tue Jul 5 06:48:34 PDT 2016

Hello Krzysztof,

On 07/05/2016 02:33 AM, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:
> On 07/04/2016 05:15 PM, Javier Martinez Canillas wrote:

[snip]

>> Yes, splitting the lock per controller will fix the possible deadlock in
>> this case but I think we need an approach that is safe for all possible
>> scenarios. Otherwise it will work more by coincidence than due a design.
>
> This is not a coincidence. This design is meant to fix this deadlock.
> Not by coincidence. By design.

Ok, if the configurations I described doesn't exist in practice and are
just theoretical then yes, doing a per controller lock is a good design.

> You are talking about theoretical different configurations... without
> even real bug reports. I am providing an idea to fix a real deadlock and
> your argument is that it might not fix other (non-reported) deadlocks.
> These other deadlocks happen now as well probably...

I'm not against you re-working the locks to do it per controller, is just
that I thought it would be good to have a solution that is going to work
for all possible scenarios.

You asked for comments/opinions/ideas and I gave mine, that's all :)

> Best regards,
> Krzysztof

Best regards,
--