sysfs topology for arm64 cluster_id

Don Dutile ddutile at redhat.com
Fri Jul 1 10:25:52 PDT 2016

On 07/01/2016 11:54 AM, Stuart Yoder wrote:
> Re-opening a thread from back in early 2015...

Unlike what jcm stated, the simplest/fastest solution is an architecture-specific solution.
The problem with aarch64: the MPIDR is unarchitected past core's what the hierarchy information
means -- vendor dependent.

What aarch4 lacks is the cpu-id *equivalent* of x86, which has a very detailed, architected
specification (and linux kernel implementation) to appropriately map cores (and threads) to
caches, and memory nodes/clusters/chunks/ to cores (threads of cores have obvious mem association).

So, someone has to architect the x86 cpuid equivalence.  It doesn't have to be in the i-stream,
as x86 does, but for servers -- and that's where your DPDK -- nearly any server sw (b/c most servers
these days have lots of cores & memory) grope the sysfs space to determine topology and do the
equivalent, topology-dependent optimizations in the apps.
A proposal that was bantered around RH was yet-another-ACPI structure.... which could
be populated on x86 as well, and provide the equivalent of the now-architecture-specific
futue architecture-agnostic, core/thread/memory (/io) topology information.

Unfortunately, I don't have the cycles to lend to this effort, as I've taken over the RDMA stack
in RHEL (from dledford, who now is upstream maintainer for rdma-list).
As advanced layered products like DPDK are ported to arm64,
this issue will reach critical mass quickly, when dog-n-pony-shows turn into benchmark comparisons.

Thanks for raising the issue on the appropriate lists.
Perhaps some real effort will be made to finally resolve the issue.

- Don