[RFC] arm64: ftrace with regs for livepatch support

AKASHI Takahiro takahiro.akashi at linaro.org
Tue Jan 19 19:12:04 PST 2016

Li,

On 01/20/2016 10:25 AM, Li Bin wrote:
> Hi Takahiro,
> Thanks for your reply firstly.

>>> Hi takahiro,
>>> This method can not guarantee the correctness of replacing the multi instrucions
>>> from  (A') to (B') or from (B') to (A'), even if under kstop_machine especially for
>>> preemptable kernel or NMI context (which will be supported on arm64 in future).
>>> Right?
>>
>> You seem to be right.
>> I thought that we could use aarch64_insn_patch_text() here, but
>> it doesn't ensure any atomicity of replacement.
>> Switching from (A') to (A) or (A) to (A') can be used instead,
>> but the performance penalty will not be acceptable.
>>
>> Why does your livepatch with -mfentry work?
>>

> For my method with -mfentry, the instruction replacement for converting
> nops to ftrace calls or back is as following,
>
>      (A)    mov x9, x30                     (A')  mov x9, x30
>              nop           <-------------->     bl <__fentry__>
>              mov x30, x9                            mov x30, x9
>              <function prologue>            <function prologue>
>
> so it is compatible with the current recordmcount and ftrace logic, and the
> only effect is that introducing two extra low cost mov instruction.

Last night I thought this issue and reached almost the same conclusion :)
The only other way would be to forcedly suppress gcc's instruction
scheduling in a function prologue and generate an always-the-same prologue.
But this will be unlikely.
(requiring pt_regs for livepatch is just too much.)

Other than a performance impact (I'm still not sure about it),
we might have a problem *with -fprolog-add=N* when the kernel sets up this
multiple-instructions sequence in each traceable function at boot time because
we have no way to do so transparently. I will check the ftrace code.

Thanks,
-Takahiro AKASHI