Including Raspberry Pi -next trees in linux-next

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Tue Jan 5 12:22:49 PST 2016

On 01/05/2016 01:06 PM, Eric Anholt wrote:
> Stephen Rothwell <sfr at canb.auug.org.au> writes:
>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 13:15:50 -0800 Eric Anholt <eric at anholt.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'll be sending pull-requests to Florian soon, but I would like to get
>>> my trees included in linux-next to get increased testing coverage of
>>> them against everything else going on for 4.5.  I'm expecting to produce
>>> trees under these branch names for the forseeable future.
>>>
>>> Repo: https://github.com/anholt/linux.git
>>>
>>> branches:
>>> drm-vc4-next
>>> bcm2835-dt-next
>>> bcm2835-soc-next
>>> bcm2835-drivers-next
>>> bcm2385-defconfig-next
>>> (bcm2835-maintainers-next is a placeholder since we have nothing for it
>>> this round)

Typically maintainers merge everything together into a single "for-next"
to maintain a reasonable set of branches. I guess it doesn't affect me
so my opinion isn't too relevant though:-)

>> I have added the first 5 from today.  Can you tell me which trees they
>> will be merged via so I can position them in my list correctly,
>> please?
>
> drm-vc4-next goes through airlied's drm-next.  bcm2835-* are intended to
> go through Florian's stblinux tree, though things didn't go that way
> this time because I'm still figuring out timelines.
>
> Looking through Next/Trees, it looks like stblinux isn't in the list.
> That seems like something that would be useful, given that Florian's
> been successfully sending pull requests to arm-soc for at least a couple
> of releases.  (<1445718981-13552-1-git-send-email-f.fainelli at gmail.com>,
> for example).  His branches appear to be defconfig/next,
> devicetree/next, maintainers/next, and soc/next, all on
> https://github.com/Broadcom/stblinux.git.
>
>> Also, I was wondering how they relate to the bcm2835 tree I currently
>> have (git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rpi/linux-rpi.git
>> for-next) currently maintained by Stephen Warren (cc'd).
>
> Stephen and Lee have limited time to work on 2835 as it's only been a
> free-time project for them afaict.  I offered to help on the merging
> process, since it's job related.  I don't have kernel.org access any
> more I think, and it turns out github process is familiar to 2835's
> potential contributors, so it's working out quite well to host the
> branches there.  They're still chiming in with acks and feedback when
> time permits, though.

It'd be quite easy to get you access to the existing kernel.org bcm2835
tree though; just get an account there and the admins can add you to the
ACL.