[Question about DMA] Consistent memory?

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Sat Jan 2 10:07:46 PST 2016

On Sat, Jan 02, 2016 at 08:17:51AM -0800, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Sat, 2016-01-02 at 10:39 +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 04:50:54PM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > I am new to the Linux DMA APIs.
> > >
> > > First, I started by reading Documentation/DMA-API.txt,
> > > but I am confused with the term "consistent memory".
> >
> > Just read "coherent memory" instead - the documentation confusingly
> > uses the two terms to refer to the same thing.  I think there was a
> > patch a while back to replace "consistent" with "coherent" in this
> > document, though I'm not sure what happened to it.
>
> It's an standards issue.  The Document was originally based on the PCI
> DMA API.  All the PCI standards documentation refers to "consistent
> memory" instead of "coherent memory".  The original DMA API was
> designed for PA-RISC and its standards documentation refers to
> "coherent memory" hence the confusion.  The two terms are equivalent,
> but there's no real way of removing either without someone reading the
> actual specs and wondering what the other term means.

May it be an idea to add a footnote explaining that the two terms
are interchangable and equivalent then - this is not the first time
that people have asked questions about it, and I suspect that unless
something is done, there will be a continuing stream of questions.

--
RMK's Patch system: http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/patches/
according to speedtest.net.