Common/typical fractional divider HW API

Andy Shevchenko andriy.shevchenko at linux.intel.com
Mon Feb 15 07:35:52 PST 2016

On Sun, 2016-02-07 at 17:04 +0100, Mason wrote:
> On 05/02/2016 17:43, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
>
> > There are plenty of implementations of the divider.
>
> I'd be happy to read an overview on the subject, if you have
> some links to share.

drivers/tty/serial/*

> > You might consider to use one than inventing new one
>
> I find it hard to believe that the interface I'm discussing
> has not been used (several times) in the past. (It's merely
> a trivial floating point scheme.)
>
> As a matter of fact, the integer divider driver supports
> "I" and "2^I", so extending 2^I to "2^I * (1 + F/256)"
> is an obvious step.

Just to be simple:
Why do you have to modify existing clk-fractional-divider.c module?

May I suggest to reconsider your design to be fit in the existing CLK
divider implementations? Also, some of the hardware IPs have inside
divider registers, like mentioned above UARTs. I already suggested to
look at them to see how hardware is done.

Again, (actually I bored to repeat) I didn't see (yet!) any HW divider
which has integer part as 2^I. I don't get why you stuck with that
formula and why 1/256? Who prevents to have 1/32768 in HW (like we have
in LPSS of Intel SoCs)?

Here I'm giving up this discussion. Perhaps more experienced people
could correct me.

--
Andy Shevchenko <andriy.shevchenko at linux.intel.com>
Intel Finland Oy