[BUG] random kernel crashes after THP rework on s390 (maybe also on PowerPC and ARM)

Aneesh Kumar K.V aneesh.kumar at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Feb 12 08:17:39 PST 2016

Gerald Schaefer <gerald.schaefer at de.ibm.com> writes:

> On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 09:34:33 +0530
> "Aneesh Kumar K.V" <aneesh.kumar at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>
>> Gerald Schaefer <gerald.schaefer at de.ibm.com> writes:

>> > Hmm, not sure about that. After pmdp_invalidate(), a pmd_none() check in
>> > fast_gup will still return false, because the pmd is not empty (at least
>> > on s390).
>>
>> Why can't we do this ? I did this for ppc64.
>>
>>  void pmdp_invalidate(struct vm_area_struct *vma, unsigned long address,
>>  		     pmd_t *pmdp)
>>  {
>> -	pmd_hugepage_update(vma->vm_mm, address, pmdp, _PAGE_PRESENT, 0);
>> +	pmd_hugepage_update(vma->vm_mm, address, pmdp, ~0UL, 0);
>>

> Wouldn't that semantically change what pmdp_invalidate() was supposed to
> do? The comment before the call says "the pmd_trans_huge and
> pmd_trans_splitting must remain set at all times on the pmd". So, after
> removing pmd_trans_splitting, it seems to be necessary to at least keep
> pmd_trans_huge set.
>
> In your case, the pmd would be completely cleared, which may help to find
> it in fast_gup with pmd_none(), but I'm not sure if this would open up
> other problems, e.g. with concurrent page faults. But I must also admit that
> my THP overview got a little rusty.

Thinking about this more, I guess, I should not be doing this. Because
this bring in the exit_mmap race that I outlined in the patch even
though the window now is small.

I guess we should fix this in the gup path by checking for what ever
trick we are using to mark the pmd splitting. For ppc64 we clear the
_PAGE_USER. We are ok as long as autonuma is enabled because
pmd_protnone() check will check against _PAGE_USER. But that may not be
sufficient.

-aneesh