ARM PCI/MSI KVM passthrough with GICv2M

Eric Auger eric.auger at linaro.org
Mon Feb 8 05:27:41 PST 2016

Hi Alex, Christoffer,
On 02/08/2016 10:48 AM, Christoffer Dall wrote:
> [...]
>>>       the group must be vfio bound or unbound.
>>>    1) retrieve the MSI parent of the device and list all the
>>>       other devices using that MSI controller as MSI-parent (does not
>>>       look straightforward):
>>>    2) they must be VFIO driver bound or unbound as well (meaning
>>>       they are not used by the host). If not, reject device attachment
>>>    - in case they are VFIO bound (a VFIO group is set):
>>>      x if all VFIO containers are the same as the one of the device's
>>>        we try to attach, that's OK. This means the other devices
>>>        use different IOMMU mappings, eventually will target the
>>>        MSI frame but they all work for the same user space client/VM.
>>>      x 1 or more devices has a different container than the device
>>>        under attachment:
>>>        It works on behalf of a different user space client/VM,
>>>        we can't attach the new device. I think there is a case however
>>>        where severals containers can be opened by a single QEMU.
>>>
>>> Of course the dynamic aspects, ie a new device showing up or an unbind
>>> event bring significant complexity.
>>>
>>> 2) GICv2M with multiple 4kB frames
>>>    Each msi-frame is enumerated as msi-controller. The device tree
>>>    statically defines which device is attached to each msi frame.
>>>    In case devices are assigned we cannot change this attachment
>>>    anyway since there might be physical contraints behind.
>>>    So devices likely to be assigned to guests should be linked to a
>>>    different MSI frame than devices that are not.
>>>
>>>    I think extended viability concept can be used as well.
>>>
>>>    This model still is not ideal: in case we have a SR-IOV device
>>>    plugged onto an host bridge attached to a single MSI parent you won't
>>>    be able anyway to have 1 Virtual Function working for host and 1 VF
>>>    working for a guest. Only Interrupt translation (ITS) will bring that
>>>    feature.
>>>
>>> 3) GICv3 ITS
>>>    This one supports interrupt translation service ~ Intel
>>>    IRQ remapping.
>>>    This means a single frame can be used by all devices. A deviceID is
>>>    used exclusively by the host or a guest. I assume the ITS driver
>>>    allocates/populates deviceid interrupt translation table featuring
>>>    separate LPI spaces ie by construction different ITT cannot feature
>>>    same LPIs. So no need to do the extended viability test.
>>>
>>>    The MSI controller should have a property telling whether
>>>    it supports interrupt translation. This kind of property currently
>>>    exists on IOMMU side for INTEL remapping.
>>>

>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> Would anyone be terribly upset if we simply assume the worst case
>> scenario on GICv2m/M, have the IOMMU not claim IOMMU_CAP_INTR_REMAP, and
>> require the user to opt-in via the allow_unsafe_interrupts on the
>> vfio_iommu_type1 module?  That would make it very compatible with what
>> we already do on x86, where it really is all or nothing.
>
> meaning either you allow unsafe multiplexing with passthrough in every
> flavor (unsafely) or you don't allow it at all?
that's my understanding. if the iommu does not expose
IOMMU_CAP_INTR_REMAP, the end-user must explicitly turn
allow_unsafe_interrupts on. On ARM we will have the handle the fact the
interrupt translation is handled on interrupt controller side and not on
iommu side though;

> I didn't know such on option existed, but it seems to me that this fits
> the bill exactly.
well I think the support of multiple GICv2m MSI frames was devised to
allow safe interrupts but extending the VFIO viability notion as
described above effectively seems a huge work with small benefits since
we don't have much HW featuring multiple frames I am afraid. So I think
it is a good compromise to have a minimal integration with GICv2m and
full feature with best fitted HW, ie. GICv3 ITS.

>> My assumption
>> is that GICv2 would be phased out in favor of GICv3, so there's always
>> a hardware upgrade path to having more complete isolation, but the
>> return on investment for figuring out whether a given device really has
>> this sort of isolation seems pretty low.  Often users already have some
>> degree of trust in the VMs they use for device assignment anyway.  An
>> especially prudent user can still look at the hardware specs for their
>> specific system to understand whether any devices are fully isolated
>> and only make use of those for device assignment.  Does that seem like
>> a reasonable alternative?
>>

> It sounds good to me, that would allow us to release a GICv2m-based
> solution for MSI passthrough on currently available hardware like the
> Seattle.

Sounds good to me too. I am going to respin the kernel series according
to this discussion and previous comments.

Thanks for your comments!

Best Regards

Eric