Common/typical fractional divider HW API

Andy Shevchenko andriy.shevchenko at linux.intel.com
Fri Feb 5 07:05:58 PST 2016

On Fri, 2016-02-05 at 15:49 +0100, Mason wrote:
> Hello,
>
> AFAICT, the clk-fractional-divider driver implements the following
> hardware API:
>
>   M and N are two fields in the same register.
>   DIV = M / N
>
> Is this HW API common/typical in the embedded world?
> in the PC world?

At least all new Intel SoCs have it, besides that there is one more
user of the struct clk_fractional_divider, but I have no idea if they
have something similar to this.

> My hardware uses a slightly weird (to me) API:
>
>   I = 0-255 (8 bits)
>   F = 0-15  (4 bits)

This part is okay.

>   I = 0 => DIV = +INF

On Intel we recognize this as an absence of the divider.

>   I = 1 => DIV = 1 + F/(32-F)

Weird part, indeed. But seems it doubles a precision in a range
[1 .. 1 + 1/2]

>   I > 1 => DIV = I + F/16

This just normal operation.

> Is this HW API common/typical in the embedded world?
> (Perhaps just the linear part for I > 1)

I saw similar approach in few UART drivers, but they do not use CLK
framework.

So, I could consider this one is more popular / wider, than what we
have in Intel SoCs.

> I see two downsides to this API:
>
> 1) I = 1 is a special case

> 2) A lot of the value space is wasted on large values.
>
> For example, when I = 250, we don't really care about 250.0625,
> 250.125,
> etc, or even nearby integer values, for that matter.
>
> I think it's better to have a distribution with high density in small
> values, and low density in high values (sort of like floating point).
>
> For example:
>
>   I = 0-15  (4 bits)
>   F = 0-255 (8 bits)
>   DIV = 2^I * (1 + F/256)
>
> (We could probably even shave 2-4 bits on F.)
>
> Are there downsides to this HW API?
> Is this HW API common/typical in the embedded world?

So, what is your intention? If you would like to use CLK framework you
might consider existing providers and users and might implement a
specific one for similar cases.

Also it's possible to convert clock providers for, e.g., UARTs to use
this kind of divider.

--
Andy Shevchenko <andriy.shevchenko at linux.intel.com>
Intel Finland Oy