PM regression with commit 5de85b9d57ab PM runtime re-init in v4.5-rc1

Ulf Hansson ulf.hansson at linaro.org
Wed Feb 3 10:02:32 PST 2016

On 3 February 2016 at 17:27, Tony Lindgren <tony at atomide.com> wrote:

>> > The problem is that the hardware state gets out of sync with
>> > PM runtime. And that's going to be a pain to debug later on.
>>
>> I don't see the problem, but of course you know omap for better than I do.
>
> Well there's also the long term maintenance aspect at least I
> need to consider.
>
>> So if you are concerned about this, perhaps adding a dev_dbg print
>> when the omap hwmod's ->runtime_suspend() callback returns zero could
>> be a way forward?
>
> If we downgrade it to a debug statement or a warning, we'll soon end
> up with even more driver specific warnings than we already have.
> And I don't want to be chasing people around to fix their drivers
> for eavery new driver that gets submitted.
>
> Also, without this error I would not even originally have noticed we
> have a problem :) So I suggest the following:

Well, I am actually not removing that existing warning in the
omap_device_enable(), as it's being called from other places as well.

It's just the runtime PM path that's being changed.

> 1. I'll do a series of patches to fix up the handful of omap
>    specific drivers with pm_runtime_use_autosuspend() that depend
>    on omap_device
>
> 2. I'll also do a patch to improve the omap_device error message
>    so new drivers are easy to fix. Something like:
>
>   "%() called from invalid state %d, use pm_runtime_put_sync_suspend()?"
>
> Does that sounds OK to you?

Sure.

> Regards,
>
> Tony

One more thing though. I just realized that you have yet another issue
to consider going for the approach fixing *only* drivers.

Let me summarize it here:

If userspace has prevented runtime PM (pm_runtime_forbid()) when a
driver becomes unbound, the driver will not be able to suspend the
device by using any of the pm_runtime_suspend() APIs, as the usage
count is isn't zero.

As pm_runtime_reinit() is invoked as part of the driver unbind
sequence, the runtime PM status goes out of sync. A following driver
rebind will then trigger the warning when the PM domain's
->runtime_resume() callback gets invoked. Again, forever preventing
the device from being runtime suspended.

How do you intend to solve this case?
I guess there are two options, pick up the patch I posted for omap
hwmod or make use of pm_runtime_force_suspend() in the driver.

Kind regards
Uffe