PM regression with commit 5de85b9d57ab PM runtime re-init in v4.5-rc1

Tony Lindgren tony at atomide.com
Tue Feb 2 15:46:27 PST 2016

* Alan Stern <stern at rowland.harvard.edu> [160202 13:46]:
> On Tue, 2 Feb 2016, Tony Lindgren wrote:
>
> > > Also, what is autosuspend_delay set to for your device?  And is
> > > runtime_auto set?
> >
> > It's 100 at that point, see the commented snippet below from
> > omap_hsmmc_probe():
> >
> > 	pm_runtime_enable(host->dev);
> > 	pm_runtime_get_sync(host->dev);
> > 	pm_runtime_set_autosuspend_delay(host->dev, MMC_AUTOSUSPEND_DELAY);
> > 	/* NOTE: pm_runtime_dont_use_autosuspend(host->dev) needed here? */
> > 	pm_runtime_use_autosuspend(host->dev);
> > 	/* gets -EPROBE_DEFER */
> > err_irq:
> > 	pm_runtime_put_sync(host->dev);
>
> You could try changing this to pm_runtime_put_sync_suspend().  But
> putting pm_runtime_dont_use_autosuspend() before the put_sync seems
> like a perfectly reasonable thing to do, especially if you feel you
> should reverse all the changes you made at the start.

They both seem to fix the problem.

> >         pm_runtime_disable(host->dev);
> > 	/* NOTE: suspend callback never gets called unless
> > 	 * pm_runtime_dont_use_autosuspend() is called
> > 	 * before pm_runtime_put_sync() above.
> > 	 */

> > > No, not really.  Ideally you would leave autosuspend turned on.  The
> > > delay would be long enough to that after -EDEFER, another probe would
> > > start before the delay expired.  But shortly after the last probe
> > > attempt, the delay would expire and the device would then be put in low
> > > power.
> >
> > But then what about the new reinit function? To me it seems that
> > we should not attempt to maintain a state from the earlier failed
> > probe. Or are you thinking we just skip the reinit if autosuspend
> > is set?
>
> The reinit function gets called too late to do what you want -- namely,
> put the hardware in a low-power state.

Right, the problem is the lack of suspend on the first probe. But
for having autosuspend timeout long enough for the next probe
would mean that we can't reset the PM runtime state in between.

> That _is_ what you want, isn't it?  The alternative is to leave
> dev->power.rpm_status set to RPM_ACTIVE, to match the hardware's actual
> state.

As far as I can tell things work just fine if the failed probe
suspend the device at the end of the failed probe.

> Given that the reinit function is supposed to restore the initial
> settings, it probably ought to call pm_runtime_dont_use_autosuspend().
> But that won't be enough to fix your problem.

> > > I don't think so.
> >
> > So should we just establish a policy that pm_runtime_use_autosuspend()
> > needs to be paired with pm_runtime_dont_use_autosuspend() for
> > pm_runtime_put_sync() to work?
>
> Your understanding is slightly wrong.  pm_runtime_put_sync() _does_
> work -- that is, it does what it's supposed to do.  The difficulty is
> that what it's supposed to do doesn't match what you think.
>
> pm_runtime_put_sync() is supposed to follow the driver's wishes.  It
> invokes the driver's runtime_idle callback if there is one, and the
> callback routine can start a suspend or an autosuspend.  If there is no
> callback, it will use whatever autosuspend setting the driver has set
> up.  If you want to override the autosuspend setting, use
> pm_runtime_put_sync_suspend() instead.

Yes.. That works too. I guess the thing to consider is if we should
make pm_runtime_put_sync() always sync along the lines of a patch
I posted earlier today. That could avoid quite a bit of confusion
as already seen in this thread :)

Regards,

Tony