PM regression with commit 5de85b9d57ab PM runtime re-init in v4.5-rc1

Tony Lindgren tony at atomide.com
Tue Feb 2 13:03:46 PST 2016

* Alan Stern <stern at rowland.harvard.edu> [160202 11:17]:
> On Tue, 2 Feb 2016, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> > I'd like to have pm_runtime_put_sync() disable the hardware after
> > the initial failed probe. Currently that does not happen unless
> > pm_runtime_dont_use_autosuspend() is called before pm_runtime_put_sync().
>
> pm_runtime_put_sync() doesn't do anything to the hardware if the usage
> count was > 1, because after the decrement it's still nonzero.  Where
> is the particular call of pm_runtime_put_sync() that you're interested
> in, and what is the usage count when it runs?  It's not at all unusual
> for the usage count to be > 1 during a probe.

The usage count is 0 at that point, it seems the be the RPM_AUTO
causing the issues that we set at the end of rpm_idle().

> Also, what is autosuspend_delay set to for your device?  And is
> runtime_auto set?

It's 100 at that point, see the commented snippet below from
omap_hsmmc_probe():

	pm_runtime_enable(host->dev);
	pm_runtime_get_sync(host->dev);
	pm_runtime_set_autosuspend_delay(host->dev, MMC_AUTOSUSPEND_DELAY);
	/* NOTE: pm_runtime_dont_use_autosuspend(host->dev) needed here? */
	pm_runtime_use_autosuspend(host->dev);
	/* gets -EPROBE_DEFER */
err_irq:
	pm_runtime_put_sync(host->dev);
        pm_runtime_disable(host->dev);
	/* NOTE: suspend callback never gets called unless
	 * pm_runtime_dont_use_autosuspend() is called
	 * before pm_runtime_put_sync() above.
	 */

> > > Does pm_runtime_use_autosuspend() get called by the probe routine?  If
> > > it does, then perhaps you can get what you want by having the probe
> > > routine call pm_runtime_dont_use_autosuspend() whenever it's about to
> > > return an error -- particularly -EDEFER.
> >
> > Yes so far that's the only fix that seems to work like I posted
> > earlier. But is that the right fix though?
>
> No, not really.  Ideally you would leave autosuspend turned on.  The
> delay would be long enough to that after -EDEFER, another probe would
> start before the delay expired.  But shortly after the last probe
> attempt, the delay would expire and the device would then be put in low
> power.

But then what about the new reinit function? To me it seems that
we should not attempt to maintain a state from the earlier failed
probe. Or are you thinking we just skip the reinit if autosuspend
is set?

> > If we wanted to have some generic fix, it seems we would have to pass
> > a new flag in pm_runtime_put_sync() to ignore any autosuspend
> > configuration. But I don't know if that's what we want to or should
> > do though?
>
> I don't think so.

So should we just establish a policy that pm_runtime_use_autosuspend()
needs to be paired with pm_runtime_dont_use_autosuspend() for
pm_runtime_put_sync() to work?

Regards,

Tony