PM regression with commit 5de85b9d57ab PM runtime re-init in v4.5-rc1

Tony Lindgren tony at atomide.com
Tue Feb 2 10:54:51 PST 2016

* Alan Stern <stern at rowland.harvard.edu> [160202 10:44]:
> On Tue, 2 Feb 2016, Tony Lindgren wrote:
>
> > * Tony Lindgren <tony at atomide.com> [160202 08:50]:
> > > * Alan Stern <stern at rowland.harvard.edu> [160202 08:17]:

> > > I think you found the real bug there. So the right fix is to
> > > call pm_runtime_put_sync_autosuspend() at the end of failed
> > > probe in omap_hsmmc. Let me give that a try here.
> >
> > Nope that's not it but getting closer.
> >
> > The following seems to make things behave for me. Now the
> > question is.. Does it have some undesired side effects?
>
> Yes, it does.

Yeah noticed..

> I'm still not clear on what you want to accomplish.  It sounds like you
> want to perform a runtime suspend following the last probe (if the
> probe fails), and in between probes you don't really care (although it
> would be preferable to avoid suspending).

I'd like to have pm_runtime_put_sync() disable the hardware after
the initial failed probe. Currently that does not happen unless
pm_runtime_dont_use_autosuspend() is called before pm_runtime_put_sync().

> Does pm_runtime_use_autosuspend() get called by the probe routine?  If
> it does, then perhaps you can get what you want by having the probe
> routine call pm_runtime_dont_use_autosuspend() whenever it's about to
> return an error -- particularly -EDEFER.

Yes so far that's the only fix that seems to work like I posted
earlier. But is that the right fix though?

If we wanted to have some generic fix, it seems we would have to pass
a new flag in pm_runtime_put_sync() to ignore any autosuspend
configuration. But I don't know if that's what we want to or should
do though?

Regards,

Tony