[SPCR] mmio32 iotype access requirements for X-Gene 8250(_dw) UART

Mark Salter msalter at redhat.com
Sat Dec 3 09:15:08 PST 2016

On Sat, 2016-12-03 at 05:06 -0500, Jon Masters wrote:
> Hi Duc, all,
>
> (and changing the subject and trimming/adjusting the CC)
>
> On 12/02/2016 02:39 PM, Duc Dang wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 12:11 AM, Jon Masters <jcm at redhat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > You're welcome.
> > >
> > > (Unrelated) Note that I added a console= and earlycon in my test (and
> > > got the baud rate wrong for the console but nevermind...was ssh'd in
> > > after the earlycon output I cared about anyway) because of some other
> > > cleanup work for the SPCR parsing that apparently is still not quite
> > > fixed for upstream, or rather, there is a need to match on the 32-bit
> > > access required for the UART and that isn't happening so it's not
> > > getting setup. Folks are tracking that one and fixing it though.
> >
> > I don't see this console issue on X-Gene1 (Mustang board). I tried
> > with X-Gene 2 as well. I used both console=ttyS0,115200 and
> > earlycon=uart8250,mmio32,0x1c020000. Are you setting baudrate to
> > 115200 or something else?
> Let me clarify. What I meant above is that when I generated the boot
> log, I had specified earlycon and console parameters, but had fat
> fingered the baud rate (m400 uses 9600, mustang uses 115200 baud).
> That's what I was referring to in the original text above.
>
> HOWEVER...
>
> There is a broader problem with X-Gene SPCR support. The problem is
> that the 16550 UART in X-Gene requires the 32-bit access quirk (the
> iotype is set to UPIO_MEM32 for the APMC0D08 device). This means
> that when univ8250_console_match runs later, it will compare the
> iotype (MEM32) with the type previously registered with the
> kernel when the earlycon setup the preferred console.

Linaro has a kernel patch which looks at the bit_width field of the
port address:

Author: Aleksey Makarov <aleksey.makarov at linaro.org>
Date:   Thu Apr 28 19:52:38 2016 +0300

    serial: SPCR: check bit width for the 16550 UART

The SPCR in 3.06.25 firmware has a bit_width field set to 32 and with the
above patch, I don't need to use console=. But HP firmware on m400 sets
bit width to 8 so that needs a firmware fix to work with above.