Support for configurable PCIe endpoint

Kishon Vijay Abraham I kishon at ti.com
Mon Aug 29 04:47:16 PDT 2016

Hi Arnd,

On Thursday 25 August 2016 06:29 PM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Thursday, August 18, 2016 6:44:09 PM CEST Kishon Vijay Abraham I wrote:
>> Hi Arnd,

>>> What's the difference between using the EDMA on that chip or a DMA engine
>>> that is part of the PCIe bridge?
>>
>> Do you mean the difference between using DMA on an EP (like ethernet card or
>> sata card) and DMA on PCI RC system? or is it the difference between eDMA
>> within the PCIe IP and system DMA?
>
> The latter. You write that there is no DMA in the PCIe IP, but from the
> perspective of the RC, it should not matter whether the DMA engine is
> part of the EP logic or behind it.

right, from the RC perspective there is no difference.

What I meant is DMA support in PCIe driver has to be added newly (i.e for
designware) and the the platform I have doesn't have a DMA in PCIe IP. Anyways,
we'll come back to this later after I post my RFC series, maybe by this week end.

Thanks
Kishon