FPGA manager: What is the proper way to load a bitstream now?

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Mon Aug 29 00:02:28 PDT 2016

The "FPGA manager" has been around for a while now, so I thought to integrate
it. However, there's apparently only a kernel-to-kernel interface and it isn't
actually being used in current mainline kernels?

So far, I've been using vendor provided drivers to load the FPGA bitstream
(e.g. "cat fpga.bin > /dev/xdevcfg") somewhere early during boot.

With the FPGA manager, while looking for a userspace interface, all I found
were proposals to do so, that have been 'shot down', even the nice ones using
DT overlays, and in the end, there is apparently no way whatsover to simply
load a bitstream at boot, other that writing (yet another) driver to trigger
the firmware load at some stage.

Is this an accurate summary of the current state, or is there something I've
missed?

(resent because of corporate mailserver turning plaintext into HTML)