Linux 4.7 and Jornada 720 (SA-1100)

Adam Wysocki gmane at chmurka.net
Fri Aug 19 07:33:34 PDT 2016

Russell King - ARM Linux <linux at armlinux.org.uk> wrote:

> Looking at the board file, the jornada720 doesn't use sa11x0-fb at all.
> It uses an Epson s1d13xxx device.  The defconfig for jornada720 has:

Another bingo - enabling this:

> CONFIG_FB_S1D13XXX=y

Solved the issue with console. Thanks!

> so if your configuration is derived from that, you should have the
> driver already enabled.

Where is this board file and defconfig for Jornada? I wasn't aware of
their existence, so I did my config from scratch. Maybe comparing my
config to defconfig will solve the issue with CF card, too...

>> It seems that earlyprintk is ignored anyway, maybe there's no support for
>> it on this platform?
>
> No idea, sorry.

Well, now, as I have the console, it's not needed anymore :)

> I use my printascii() hack in printk() when I need early or lowlevel
> debugging rather than early printk.

Where does it print to? Serial port?

>> > However, if you're not even getting the "Uncompressing Linux... done,
>> > booting the kernel." line, that suggests the decompressor is not running,
>> > or is trying to access the wrong serial port.  The decompressor tries to
>> > find the first serial port out of serial 3, 1 and 2 which has been left
>> > enabled.
>>
>> In this order? Maybe it tries to send its messages to the built-in modem
>> or IrDA port...
>
> Yes, that order.

>From SA-1100 developers manual it seems that:

- serial 0 is the USB device controller
- serial 1 is the SDLC/UART
- serial 2 is the IrDA port
- serial 3 is the UART (probably this one is routed externally)
- serial 4 is the MCP / SSP (whatever it is)

So it should use UART... strange that it doesn't do it. Or maybe it does,
but on different baudrate than 115200 (but I would probably get garbage
then)...

Does it mean that if I enabled USB device and IrDA in the kernel, I would
have external serial port on ttySA2 instead of 0?

Thanks again for your support.

--
http://www.chmurka.net/