bug in autoloading of imx-ipuv3-crtc

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Tue Apr 19 11:50:49 PDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 01:34:23PM -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> on all of my i.MX6 systems imx-ipuv3-crtc ius not getting automatically
> loaded.  Everything is built as a module
>
> CONFIG_DRM_IMX=m
> CONFIG_DRM_IMX_FB_HELPER=m
> CONFIG_DRM_IMX_HDMI=m
> CONFIG_DRM_IMX_IPUV3=m
> CONFIG_DRM_IMX_LDB=m
> CONFIG_DRM_IMX_PARALLEL_DISPLAY=m
> CONFIG_DRM_IMX_TVE=m
> CONFIG_IMX_IPUV3_CORE=m
>
> The result is that until I log in via serial or ssh and modprobe the
> module there is no display.  I suspect that there is some devicetree
> glue missing 4.4 and 4.5 seem to both be effected.

DT doesn't come into it for imx-ipuv3-crtc - these platform devices are
created by drivers/gpu/ipu-v3/ipu-common.c itself.

drivers/gpu/drm/imx/ipuv3-crtc.c contains the proper module alias which
should result in the module loaded at boot time when the imx-ipuv3-crtc
devices are created.

Could the problem be that imx-ipu-v3 isn't being loaded?  However, again,
it looks to me like everything is correct there.

Are you saying that this used to work in older kernel versions like 4.3,
but stopped in 4.4?

--
RMK's Patch system: http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/patches/
according to speedtest.net.