Nokia N900 retention mode in v4.6, camera buttons fun

Pavel Machek pavel at ucw.cz
Sun Apr 17 10:55:40 PDT 2016

Hi!

> > > What is the power difference between retention and off? I'm now down
> > > to cca 25mA, which should be around 50 hours standby time. Not ideal,
> > > but should be usable.
>
> The 25mA sounds way too big to me even for retention mode, some
> devices must be still on.

Yes, cca 60mW.

> The off mode makes a huge difference for standby time, it should cut
> down the total power consumption to something like 10+ mW with modem
> enabled. Aproximately the breakdown is roughly: 900 uW for omap, 5 mW
> for memory and 5 or more for the modem. Sorry I don't know the exact
> numbers for the modem. But with 37xx torpedo, mainline kernel is
> already getting very close to the 900 uW + 5 mW numbers for the CPU
> module during idle measured from the ina219 shunt on the torpedo
> devkit.

CONFIG_HSI breaks power management completely, so power management
with modem will be another topic.

> > > In the meantime, I found what is causing the rention mode to break for
> > > me: CONFIG_HSI (aka wireless modem support). With HSI off, it seems to work.
> > >
> > > I still get problems with the camera button, in config similar to
> > > defconfig.  For some reason, I'm even getting (autorepeating) ^@ on
> > > console. As long as I hold camera button down, I even get it into off
> > > mode for brief period.
> >
> > Ok, if I turn off CONFIG_KEYBOARD_GPIO, I get it into off
> > mode... once per screen blank, for about a second. (Does CONFIG_KEYBOARD_GPIO also cause
> > problems for you?)
> >
> > Any idea why it enters off mode only once after each screenblank?
>
> After disabling CONFIG_PROVE_LOCKING, loading the LCD modules, and
> blanking the screen, my n900 hits off mode just fine about once
> a second. Sounds like you still have some extra devices enabled
> causing it.

I checked again... also with vanilla 4.6-rc2 to double check... same effect.

Aha, got it... cat-ing /sys/kernel/debug/pm_debug/count breaks the
off mode. If I don't do that (tm), it seems to work way better.

Thanks,
										Pavel